National Assembly session to elect 18th prime minister begins
Other candidates in the run include PPP's Syed Khurshid Shah and Syed Naveed Qamar, PTI's Sheikh Rashid Ahmad, Jamaat-e-Islami's Sahibzada Tariqullah.
Muttahida Quami Movement announced to throw weight behind the PML-N's nominee Khaqan Abbasi hours before the session, although they had nominated Kishwar Zehra for the slot.
According to the Constitution, the process of PM's election would continue as long as a candidate achieves a clear majority - 172 votes.
Opposition parties met in Islamabad on Monday before filing of the nomination papers to agree on a consensus candidate but failed to make a breakthrough.
Speaker National Assembly Sardar Ayaz Sadiq scrutinized the nomination papers and found nomination papers of all the candidates in order.
Sheikh Rashid Ahmad raised some objections to the nomination of Shahid Khaqan Abbasi but these were rejected.
The candidates can withdraw their nomination papers anytime before the start of the election process.
The Speaker will read out the names of the validly nominated candidates and ask members who wish to vote in favour of their candidates to pass in single file through the designated entrance.
Tellers posted there will record their votes and after a member has recorded his vote, he would not return to the Chamber till completion of the voting process.
Due to the vacant seat of Leader of the House, no other business can take place in the House except for the election process, according to assembly rules.
The ruling PML-N currently has a support of over 180 legislators although former railways minister Khawaja Saad Rafique claimed to have support of 235 law makers.
After the PM's election, the newly-elect Leader of the House will take the oath of his office at the Presidency. The incumbent president will administer the oath to the new prime minister and cabinet.
- Shaheen Afridi regrets heated exchange with Sarfraz Ahmed in PSL 2021 ...07:28 PM | 17 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan launches portal, mobile app for women in legal fraternity06:51 PM | 17 Jun, 2021
- IHC allows ‘forced’ retirement of incompetent bureaucrats06:28 PM | 17 Jun, 2021
- Multan Sultans create PSL history06:14 PM | 17 Jun, 2021
- Sanam Saeed agrees with Riz Ahmed's stance on Muslim ...05:56 PM | 17 Jun, 2021
- Egyptian siblings earn 5 Guinness World Records including largest ...05:14 PM | 17 Jun, 2021
- Mehwish Hayat, Maya Ali and Humayun Saeed to star in upcoming drama04:33 PM | 17 Jun, 2021
- Famous YouTuber held for harassing women under cover of pranks03:10 PM | 17 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021