Priyanka Chopra criticized for 'exposing legs' to PM Modi, Priyanka replies by showing more leg
Her decision to wear a dress that showed her legs for a meeting with Indian PM has been criticised by some social media users in India.
Many people attacked Chopra on her various social media accounts for "showing her legs", forgetting "Indian culture", and even sitting cross-legged.
It didn't take long though, before the "disrespectful" dress became the topic of conversation, with many commenting on how it "insulted" Mr Modi and his "pious followers."
Some Facebook users told her off for "disrespecting" the PM"
People from South India - where an insurgency is deteriorating - even criticised Modi for not meeting 'poor' people and 'wasting' time on meeting an actress.
Unfair how Priyanka Chopra deliberately disrespected Modi by wearing that short dress, but at the Met Gala she wore 20 metres of respect.— Akshar (@AksharPathak) May 30, 2017
Priyanka chopra wears a skirt— Tanmay Bhat (@thetanmay) May 30, 2017
HOW CAN U WEAR IN FRONT OF PM NO RESPEXT?
PM wears suit with name printed on it
LET HIM WEAR WHAT HE WANT
What kind of dolts are those who attack @priyankachopra for what she wore to the meeting with the PM? Are these chaps brain-dead?— SUHEL SETH (@Suhelseth) May 31, 2017
People attacking Priyanka Chopra for wearing skirt have the same mentality of those who keep their woman wrapped in a black cloth.— Krishna (@Atheist_Krishna) May 30, 2017
The unapologetic actress responded by posting a picture of both her mother and her wearing short dresses, captioned "legs for the day".
Chopra chose not to directly respond to people, but instead made what many are calling a "classy comeback" on Instagram, featuring herself, her mother, and of course, legs.
The post had received more than 100,000 "likes" in a little over four hours.
Priyanka is not the first Indian actress to face anger over her choice of attire.
Deepika Padukone once publicly called out a leading Indian newspaper in 2014 for tweeting a picture of her cleavage.
"YES! I am a Woman. I have breasts AND a cleavage! You got a problem!!??" Padukone tweeted to the paper. Many other actresses also came out in support of her.
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 13 June 202108:36 AM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Iranian-American arrested for entering Pakistan on fake documents05:13 AM | 13 Jun, 2021
- 7 inspirational small business ideas by young entrepreneur Faizan ...10:47 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- NAB arrests Khursheed Shah’s son in asset beyond means case (VIDEO)10:31 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan Embassy in Kabul closes consulate section10:29 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Sonali Bendre proudly shares transformation on Cancer Survivors’ Day05:51 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Waseem Abbas reflects on Mahira Khan-Firdous Jamal controversy04:44 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Shah Rukh Khan gets back to work for 'Pathan' shooting04:20 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Pakistani FM reaches Turkey on diplomatic mission to highlight ...05:56 PM | 18 May, 2021