Two sunbathers killed as plane makes emergency landing on beach in Portugal
The two sunbathers, a 56-year-old man and an eight-year-old girl, died while others ran into the sea when the plane came down on Wednesday.
Hundreds of sunbathers were on the popular São João da Caparica beach, 20 miles (30km) south of Lisbon, at the time. Officials said they were not aware of any other injuries, according to The Guardian.
“A plane with two people on board made an emergency landing on São João da Caparica beach, striking two sunbathers and causing their deaths,” Portugal’s national maritime authority said in a statement.
The plane appeared to have a partly broken left wing, which hung lower than the right wing, Portuguese television pictures showed.
Witnesses told local media that the dead girl was with her parents, who were unhurt. The plane passed over the dead man’s legs as he sunbathed on a towel, they said.
Some sunbathers said the plane appeared to be gliding, as they heard no engine noise.
- Nora Fatehi, Jacqueline Fernandez summoned again in money laundering ...11:30 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- Maryam Nawaz reveals name of her speech writer10:45 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- PDM announces anti-government protests over rising inflation, poverty10:01 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- Hindu extremists force Muslim girl to take off hijab in India (VIDEO)09:36 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- T20 World Cup 2021 – Bangladesh opt to field first against Scotland07:52 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- Watch: Trailer of ‘The Batman’ is out now07:42 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- Ayeza Khan’s new dance video goes viral05:43 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- Aryan Khan vows to make NCB proud after getting out of jail05:27 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021