Tareen, Monis and Bakhtiar family among top beneficiaries of sugar crisis: FIA report
ISLAMABAD - Jahangir Tareen, Khusro Bakhtiar, and Monis Elahi are among the top beneficiaries of the sugar crisis that hit Pakistan in January this year, according to an inquiry report issued by FIA on Saturday evening.
FIA Director General Wajid Zia has prepared a 32-page report, based on the findings of an inquiry committee constituted by Prime Minister Imran Khan on public and media pressure.
The JDW Sugar Mills and JK (Colony-II), owned and controlled by PTI leader Jahangir Tareen, exported 17.24% of their total production. His mills availed 22.71% of the total subsidy amounting to Rs561 million, according to the report.
Al-Moiz Industries Limited and Thal Industries Corporation, controlled by Shamim Ahmed Khan, exported 29.6% of their production. They availed 16.46% of the total export subsidy amounting to Rs406 million.
The report then mentioned RYK Mills Limited, Etihad Sugar Mills and Two Star Industries, which are owned by Makhdoom Omer Shehryar.
Shehryar is the brother of National Food Security and Research Minister Khusro Bakhtiar. His companies exported 31.17% of their total production. They availed 18.31% of the total subsidy amounting to Rs452 million.
The report noted that PML-Q leader Monis Elahi is also a partner in the RYK Group.
These three groups “availed a total subsidy of 57.49% that amounts to Rs1,419 million out of a total subsidy of Rs2,470 million,” the report said.
Some points to note on sugar inquiry report— Jahangir Khan Tareen (@JahangirKTareen) April 4, 2020
1..My companies exported 12.28% while my market share is 20% so less than I could Have
2.Export was on first come
First serve basis
3.Of the total Rs 3 bn subsidy rec’d Rs 2.5 Bn came when N was in power and I was in opposition 😊 pic.twitter.com/T25Cu2FT60
It named eight other entities that availed subsidy from the government and exported their sugar, contributing to a sugar price hike in the country.
It has been learned that PM Khan himself reviewed the report before it was made public.
Similarly, a report on the wheat crisis was also presented to the prime minister. It identified the lack of planning by provincial governments as the main reason behind the wheat crisis.
- Info Minister's brother Faisal Chaudhry made NAB prosecutor10:26 AM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Ahead of UN talks, FM Qureshi calls for unfreezing of Afghan assets ...09:56 AM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...09:32 AM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Pakistan reports 1,897 new Covid cases, lowest in two months09:04 AM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 21 September 202108:35 AM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Canadian vlogger Rosie Gabrielle wants everyone to know that Pakistan ...05:53 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- Mathira claps back at trolls with an explosive statement: ‘Don’t ...04:57 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- TikTok star Jannat Mirza's new video goes viral04:35 PM | 20 Sep, 2021