ECP alleges Punjab & Sindh for delaying LG polls
Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) alleged Punjab and Sindh governments for delaying the delimitation process of electoral constituencies, which would result in postponing the Local Government (LG) polls automatically.
A top ECP official viewed while talking to media that ECP had delivered several reminders to both provinces, but in vain. “Punjab and Sindh governments did not provide data and authenticated maps for carrying out delimitation of Union Councils (UCs), necessary to complete the process”, he added.
The commission, which was believed to bear extensive pressure by the apex court for holding LG polls, had submitted a report in the court pleading that both Punjab sought 15, while Sindh 30 days to provide necessary data to the commission. Thereafter, the commission would be able to carry on the process speedily, the report stated.
The report says that the ECP is committed to initiate the process of delimitation of local governments as early as possible after the receipt of notifications of demarcation of local areas, determination of number of councils/wards and authenticated maps from the Punjab and Sindh Governments as well as amendments in the respective Act by the Punjab & Sindh Governments.
The report informed that the commission on October 20 had already requested the provincial government Punjab for provision of notification of demarcation of Local Governments and determination of number of Local Councils and Wards of Local Governments as required under sub-section (2) of Section 8 of the Punjab Local Government Act, 2013 but no response has so far been received from the Provincial Government.
It was also brought to their notice that unless necessary amendments are made by the provincial government in the Sindh Local Government Act, 2013, the Election Commission is unable to start the work of delimitation.
The report also told that Provincial Election Commissioners, Punjab and Sindh have constituted a committee in their respective offices in order to chalk out the exact requirements for procurement of necessary material in order to carry out the exercise of delimitation.
- Here are complete unofficial results of Senate Election 202109:53 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- PSL 6 – Peshawar Zalmi fined for slow over-rate in match against ...09:15 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- PM Imran Khan’s vote for Senate polls was also rejected?09:04 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- ‘Aik Qaum, Aik Manzil’ – ISPR releases teaser for Pakistan Day ...08:18 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- PTI govt to lose Abdul Hafeez Shaikh as Pakistan's finance minister ...07:52 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Nauheed Cyrusi recreates Piya Basanti as the famous track turns 2007:00 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Birthday girl Shraddha Kapoor shows her dance moves at beach party06:13 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Anurag Kashyap and Taapsee Pannu face raids over 'tax evasion'05:14 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021