China’s new generation supercomputer can perform quintillion calculations per second
The Sunway exascale computer prototype was put in operation on Sunday.
It has been jointly developed by the National Research Center of Parallel Computer Engineering and Technology (NRCPC), the National Supercomputing Centre in Jinan, east China’s Shandong Province and the Pilot National Laboratory for Marine Science and Technology (Qingdao).
The prototype refers to the first or preliminary version of a device.
The machine can execute a quintillion (a billion or a thousand raised to the power of six) calculations per second .
“The Sunway exascale computer prototype is very much like a concept car that can run on road,” Yang Meihong, director of the National Supercomputing Centre in Jinan said.
“We expect to build the exascale computer in the second half of 2020 or the first half of 2021,” Yang was quoted as saying by state run Xinhua news agency.
The NRCPC led the team that developed Sunway TaihuLight, crowned the world’s fastest computer two years in a row at both the 2016 and 2017 International Supercomputing Conferences held in Frankfurt, Germany.
Supercomputers are changing people’s life in fields such as weather forecast, calculation of ocean currents, financial data analysis, high-end equipment manufacturing, and car collision simulation, Pan Jingshan, deputy director of the National Supercomputing Centre in Jinan said.
Pan said the new-generation supercomputers will provide strong support to scientific research in more fields.
Another prototype exascale supercomputer Tianhe-3 passed the acceptance tests on July 22. Its final version is expected to come out in 2020.
The two prototypes marked a further step towards China’s successful development of the next-generation supercomputer, the Xinhua report said.
Several countries including the US and Japan are also speeding up the development of the exascale supercomputer, expecting to unveil it in as early as 2021.
India has unveiled supercomputer “Pratyush”, meaning the sun at the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune in January this year. Pratyush has a maximum speed of 6.8 PetaFlops or one thousand million million floating-point operations per second.
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 04 March 202108:50 AM | 4 Mar, 2021
- Gladiators register maiden victory in PSL-608:30 AM | 4 Mar, 2021
- PM Imran to seek fresh vote of confidence from parliament11:40 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- PSL 6 – Quetta Gladiators beat Multan Sultans by 22 runs11:05 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Here are complete unofficial results of Senate Election 202109:53 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Nauheed Cyrusi recreates Piya Basanti as the famous track turns 2007:00 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Birthday girl Shraddha Kapoor shows her dance moves at beach party06:13 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Anurag Kashyap and Taapsee Pannu face raids over 'tax evasion'05:14 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021