FIA warns Pakistani expats against posting 'offensive and seditious' content on social media
ISLAMABAD – The Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) has warned that names of expatriates of Pakistani origin can be put on the Exit Control List if they post anything “offensive and seditious” on social media that can cause chaos in Pakistan.
“All Pakistani origin expatriates living outside Pakistan are advised to desist from spreading chaos in Pakistan while staying abroad. Their social media posts must not be offensive and seditious,” the FIA spokesperson said in a statement.
The spokesperson advised the expatriates to read the “Pakistan Electronic Crimes Act 2016 (PECA)” to make sure that their social media posts “do not constitute any offence”.
“If they commit any offence, Red Notices through INTERPOL can be issued against them for their arrest. Their names can be put on Exit Control List. They need to avoid commission of any electronic offences,” said the FIA.
It added that its advice was “only for offenders” and law-abiding persons should not worry about it.
“Any attempts by anyone staying anywhere in the world to create disturbance in Pakistan or to defame dignity of a natural person or to act against modesty of a natural person through fake news or fake videos are against the laws of Pakistan,” said the FIA.
The investigation body said that “such attempts” are punishable under Pakistani laws, adding that offenders will be prosecuted whenever possible.
“Hence anyone must avoid committing any such offences through media of any type. All Pakistani citizens are also advised to avoid commission of such offences,” said the FIA spokesperson.
- Pakistan extends Benazir Kafalat Programme to transgender community11:17 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Security forces kill terrorist commander in North Waziristan10:50 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Iqra Aziz has the sweetest birthday wish for Yasir Hussain10:25 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Emirati themed Jazz and Opera concerts captivate visitors to ...09:59 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- 'Mastermind' of Sidhu Moose Wala’s murder detained in USA07:56 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Armeena Khan claps back at haters trolling her for her maternity ...09:22 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Karachi among world’s least expensive cities in new report09:30 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Timeline of Pakistan Army Generals during country’s 75 year-long ...10:28 AM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022