‘Friendly fire’: Russian air strike kills Turkish soldiers in Syria; Putin sends condolences to Erdogan
Following the tragic incident, the Kremlin issued a statement (in Russian) saying President Putin had, in a telephone call with his Turkish counterpart, "expressed condolences over a tragic incident which resulted in the deaths of several Turkish troops in the al-Bab area".
The Russian strike hit a building near the Syrian town of al-Bab, believing it to contain Islamic State (IS) fighters rather than Turkish troops, the BBC quoted Turkey's military as saying.
They were supporting Syrian rebels who are locked in a fierce battle to try to capture al-Bab from IS fighters.
The two leaders agreed to "increase military co-operation during operations in Syria against IS militants and other extremist organisations".
Both countries are conducting a joint investigation, Turkey's military said.
The incident comes after a warming of relations between the two countries, which had previously been strained after Turkey downed a Russian jet near the Syrian border two years ago.
At the end of 2015, Russia and Turkey risked military confrontation as the Turkish military shot down a Russian jet which it said had violated its airspace. By the end of 2016, the two, who back opposite sides in the Syrian war, were co-operating to reach a ceasefire in Aleppo.
Also, the relations between the two countries came to critical point after the murder of the Russian ambassador in Ankara.
They carried out their first joint air strikes on IS targets in the al-Bab area in January, just weeks after securing a ceasefire deal between rebels and government forces that has held in many parts of Syria since the end of last year.
- ECP calls meeting to review PM Imran’s serious allegations12:23 PM | 5 Mar, 2021
- Punjab Talent Hunt 2021 set to start from next week12:08 PM | 5 Mar, 2021
- Pakistan greenlights Sinopharm, Sputnik-V vaccines for over-60s11:55 AM | 5 Mar, 2021
- Porto Montenegro’s BOKA Place – A Pioneering Urban-Inspired ...11:36 AM | 5 Mar, 2021
- UBL selects PTCL for Primary Tier-3 Data Center Hosting11:02 AM | 5 Mar, 2021
- Sana Javed wins Best Actress award for Ruswai09:24 PM | 4 Mar, 2021
- Hania Amir slammed for preaching self love with an Instagram filter10:20 PM | 4 Mar, 2021
- Humaima Malick hopes to wear a hijab for the rest of her life09:54 PM | 4 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021