Pakistan plunges into darkness after massive power outage
Power minister urges calm, saying ‘personally working on drop in frequency in power distribution system’
KARACHI – Electricity has been restored in several areas of the Sindh capital, hours after a major power outage caused by fault in main transmission lines.
Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad, Peshawar, Rawalpindi and other cities were plunged into darkness Saturday night, leaving the masses in shock and panic.
Karachi’s Korangi, Defence, Garden, Clifton, Gulistan-e-Jauhar, Gulshan-e-Iqbal, MA Jinnah Road, II Chundrigar Road, Liaquatabad, and FB Area are facing blackout.
As the outage hit the cities, federal information minister Shibli Faraz said that there is technical "fault in NTDC system. System is being restored"
Technical fault in NTDC system. System is being restored— Senator Shibli Faraz (@shiblifaraz) January 9, 2021
Federal Minister For Power , Petroleum & Natural Resources said that all teams were active to restore the electricity, adding that he is monitoring the situation.
Explaining reason behind the massive failure of electricity, he said that frequency of power distribution all of a sudden dropped to 0 from 50. “We are investigating the reason,” he added.
He requested the nation to exercise patience.
A senior journalist said that some 500KV lines in NTDC Network have tripped.
Some 500KV lines in NTDC Network have tripped, that’s been the usual culprit in previous nationwide electricity outages and the current one— Faseeh Mangi (@FaseehMangi) January 9, 2021
- PM’s aide Shahzad Akbar tests positive for Covid-1909:24 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Pakistani, Canadian FMs discuss Afghanistan in phone call09:10 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Multiple blasts leave two dead, 20 injured in #Afghanistan’s ...07:45 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Shehbaz Sharif, son Hamza summoned in money laundering case06:44 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Pakistani celebs express disappointment after NZ tour called off05:30 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- ‘Dafaa Hojao Tum’ — Resham set to star in Faseeh Bari Khan's ...04:59 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Areeba Habib-starrer ‘Nehar’ to highlight the issue of dowry04:35 PM | 18 Sep, 2021