Boao Forum: President Xi defends BRI, says China has no geo-political calculations
In a key speech outlining his vision at the Boao Forum for Asia (BFA) at the Chinese city of Boao, Xi said the BRI may be China’s idea but its opportunities and outcomes are going to benefit the world.
“China has no geopolitical calculations, seeks no exclusionary blocs and imposes no business deals on others,” he said in an apparent reference to apprehensions that the BRI in which China is investing billions of dollars in port, road and rail connectivity projects all over the world is aimed at furthering China’s influence.
The BRI focuses on improving connectivity and cooperation among Asian countries, Africa, China and Europe.
At the BFA meeting attended among others by Pakistan Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, Xi said, “It must be pointed out that as the BRI is a new initiative, it is perfectly natural that there will be different views on cooperation.”
“As long as the parties embrace the principle of extensive consultation, joint contribution and shared benefits, we can surely enhance cooperation and resolve differences,” he said.
“This way, we can make the BRI the broadest platform for international cooperation in keeping with the trend of economic globalisation and to the greater benefit of all our peoples,” Xi said.
This is the first major speech by Xi after he began his second five-year tenure last month.
He is widely expected to continue in power for life as China’s parliament has removed the two-term limit for the president through a constitutional amendment.
China aims to extend economic corridor to ... 12:44 AM | 10 Apr, 2018
BEIJING - The China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) -- the flagship project of China’s ambitious Belt and Road ...
- Mirza Ishtiaq Baig included in PML-N’s economic advisory council06:12 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- Top PR, event management agencies announce Pakistan’s first council ...05:53 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- GSV overwhelmed by PFL franchise bids from around the world05:43 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- SBP increases interest rate by 25 basis points05:16 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- Mathira claps back at trolls with an explosive statement: ‘Don’t ...04:57 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- TikTok star Jannat Mirza's new video goes viral04:35 PM | 20 Sep, 2021