One girl under 15 married every seven seconds: report
Girls as young as 10 are forced to marry much older men in countries including Afghanistan, Yemen, India and Somalia, BBC reported.
“Girls who marry too early often can’t attend school, and are more likely to face domestic violence, abuse and rape. They fall pregnant and are exposed to STIs (sexually transmitted infections) including HIV,” the report added.
Save the Children points toward the negative impact an early marriage can have on a girl’s life. It notes that conflict, poverty and humanitarian crises are major factors that leave girls exposed to child marriage. Two thirds of girls feel they can’t take decisions about critical issues in their lives in Ecuador, Nicaragua, Pakistan and Zimbabwe.
The report, titled ‘Every Last Girl’, ranks countries on the hardest place to be a girl based on schooling, child marriage, teen pregnancy, maternal deaths and the number of women in parliament. It says many refugee families marry off their daughters as a way to protect them against poverty or sexual exploitation.
The charity used the example of a 13-year-old Syrian refugee in Lebanon it called Sahar – not her real name – who was married to a 20-year-old man. Now 14, she is two months pregnant. “The wedding day, I was imagining it would be a great day but it wasn’t. It was all misery. It was full of sadness,” Save the Children quoted her as saying. “I feel really blessed that I am having a baby. But I am a child raising a child.”
The report says girls also suffer during humanitarian crises such as the Ebola outbreak in Sierra Leone where the shutting down of schools led to an estimated 14,000 teen pregnancies. The UN children’s agency, Unicef, estimates that the number of women married in childhood will grow from 700 million today to around 950 million by 2030.
- ‘Enough is enough,’ says China after Trump’s Covid-19 criticism11:33 PM | 24 Sep, 2020
- Senate body wants changes in accountability process of superior ...10:07 PM | 24 Sep, 2020
- Foreign delegates, diplomats & defence attachés back Pakistan's ...08:36 PM | 24 Sep, 2020
- Stolen assets of developing countries must be returned, PM urges world08:28 PM | 24 Sep, 2020
- Shehzad Roy and Faisal Qureshi are remaking ‘Alif Noon’03:47 PM | 24 Sep, 2020
- Sonu Nigam praises Sajjad Ali in latest Instagram post01:50 PM | 24 Sep, 2020
- IN PICTURES: Ayeza Khan with her little sister12:49 PM | 24 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020