NAB announces scrutiny of Info Minister's statements
According to a press release issued by the bureau, the decision has been taken on the pretext of Chaudhry's statement regarding Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf leader Aleem Khan.
The bureau said it would examine whether the statements of the minister were an effort to impact the ongoing inquiries, investigations or not.
'If the bureau finds the comments of the minister in violation of the NAB ordinance or prevalent laws, it could initiate legal proceedings against the minister,' the bureau announced in the hand-written communique.
The anti-graft body said it was the biggest institution of the country in terms of eliminating corruption and recovery of embezzled money from the looters.
'NAB is not affiliated with any political force, group or individual and has ratified the same through its actions,' the bureau stated.
It reiterated that the accountability watchdog pledged allegiance only to the state of Pakistan.
Fawad Ch reacts to NAB's marvel
Hours after the press release, the information minister took to Twitter and urged the bureau to focus on its professional duties instead of issuing 'worthless' statements.
The minister said the bureau was suffering from capacity issues, terming the press release a 'marvel'.
سارا دن حلقےمیں مصروف رہا یہ شاہکار نظر سےاوجھل رہا، اس رویہ سے اندازہ ہوتا ہے کہ نیب Capacity کے کس قدر سنجیدہ بحران کا شکار ہے، انھیں یہ بھی نہیں معلوم کہ ضمانت دینا ان کے اختیار نہیں تو مداخلت کیسے ہوئ؟ یہ پیچیدہ مقدمے کہاں سے حل کریں گے، فضول بیانات کی بجائے کام پر توجہ دیں pic.twitter.com/zRtAwk30Un— Ch Fawad Hussain (@fawadchaudhry) April 13, 2019
'They don't even know that it's beyond their jurisdiction to approve bail, how come that's an intervention in its affairs,' Fawad wondered and expressed his mistrust by inquiring how will they [NAB] solve complex cases.
Aleem Khan Controversy
The National Accountability Bureau sprung into action after Fawad Chaudhry tweeted that PTI leader Aleem Khan should also be granted bail when those who 'embezzled billions secured it with ease'.
Aleem Khan deserves bail if those embezzling ... 08:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2019
ISLAMABAD - Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry contended on Saturday that Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) leader Aleem ...
The information minister continued that Aleem Khan was a businessman and had no allegations of causing losses to the national exchequer.
Aleem Khan was taken into custody by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) officials in Lahore on Feb 6. According to a communique issued by NAB Lahore, Khan was arrested for accumulating assets beyond his known sources of income.
- PSL 2021 – Peshawar Zalmi take on Quetta Gladiators tonight06:41 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Saudi Arabia cancels Hajj for international pilgrims over COVID-19 ...06:11 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- PM Imran hails 'historic' budget to beat climate change, reverse ...05:08 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Waseem Abbas reflects on Mahira Khan-Firdous Jamal controversy04:44 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Shah Rukh Khan gets back to work for 'Pathan' shooting04:20 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Pakistani FM reaches Turkey on diplomatic mission to highlight ...05:56 PM | 18 May, 2021