Indian CBDT eyes on Amitabh Bachchan, others in Panama case
The British Virgin Islands in the Caribbean is considered to be among several tax havens. The tax department has launched 33 prosecutions linked to the names revealed in the Panama Papers and is probing others.
"There is no let-up in investigations. We are aggressively seeking information from other countries," the official, who did not wish to be identified, told Times of India. After Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif was removed by the country's top court in connection with the Panama Papers case, there has been criticism that tax authorities in India are dragging their feet.
Asked whether information linked to the allegations against Bachchan was being pursued, the official said: "Mr Bachchan has said he does not own any of the firms named in the documents. So we just can't launch a probe. We have to seek information."
"We have sent a senior CBDT (Central Board of Direct Taxes) officer to the British Virgin Islands to gather information and we are also seeking information from various other countries and then we will have to analyse and see if there are any violations," the official said.
Names of several film stars, politicians and businessmen figured in the so-called Panama Papers. Bachchan has denied any wrongdoing, and has said that his remittances overseas were in line with Indian regulations. He has also denied any links with the firms named in the Panama Papers. "Some of the accounts which were revealed are also genuine and those named have come forward to give details. It is a long-drawn process of seeking information," said the official.
- Samsung launches SmartThings Find, a new way to quickly locate your ...03:14 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- edotco appoints new Country Managing Director Pakistan02:15 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- KIA Niro Spotted in Pakistan – Is the future of Hybrid vehicles ...01:51 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Meet Nabeel Ahmad: The Founder and CEO of Skyray Ventures01:47 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Fashion Pakistan Week postponed over Covid-19 fears07:19 PM | 25 Nov, 2020
- Rabab Hashim ties the knot (See Mehndi & Maiyon Pics)05:08 PM | 25 Nov, 2020
- Three games run better on Xbox Series X compared to PS509:56 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Celebs turning 60 in 202007:48 PM | 24 Nov, 2020
- 10 Richest Actresses of All Time09:20 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Karachi among 10 cheapest cities to live in 202006:12 PM | 19 Nov, 2020