Coronavirus immunity may disappear in only few months after infection: study
ISLAMABAD – Immunity to COVID-19 in recovered patients may only last a few months, said German researchers, suggesting that coronavirus antibodies may not remain in the body for long.
The study showed that patients at a clinic in Munich showed a significant drop in the number of neutralising antibodies in the body.
"In four of our nine patients, we found a drop in neutralising antibodies in a special test that can only be carried out in a high-security laboratory," Clemens Wendtner of the hospital''s infectious diseases department was quoted as saying by brusselstimes.com.
"The impact on long-term immunity and vaccination strategies remains speculative but this needs to be monitored," he added. The findings suggested that recovered patients could become re-infected with coronavirus, although further tests have yet to confirm this.
According to the study, the body's immune response consists of B cells, which secrete antibodies, and T cells, which are capable of recognising and killing previously detected antigens. Both are necessary for long-term immunity. Wendtner's findings are consistent with other studies around the world, the report said.
Last month, another study published in the journal Nature Medicine revealed that people who develop coronavirus-fighting antibodies might not keep them very long, especially if they didn't have symptoms.
A Spanish study published this month in the journal The Lancet found that only 5 per cent of the population in Spain has developed antibodies, nowhere near the levels needed to achieve ''herd immunity''.
- PM Imran congratulates Sri Lankan counterpart Rajapaksa over election ...11:30 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Pakistan to resume international flight operations at all airports ...10:57 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- NAB rejects allegations of striking plea bargain deal with 2 army ...09:23 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- At least 11 dead as Air India passenger plan skids off runway, splits ...09:10 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- What do you know about Ravi Riverfront Urban Development Project?08:36 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- A sneak peek inside Selena Gomez's HBO cooking show05:38 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- John Wick 5 announced, to film back-to-back with 4th installment05:14 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Ever since I was a child I’ve had a sleeping issue: Mahira Khan04:23 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020