China to retaliate after US imposes tariffs on $50 billion in imports
"In light of China's theft of intellectual property and technology and its other unfair trade practices, the United States will implement a 25 percent tariff on $50bn of goods from China that contain industrially significant technologies," the statement read.
Beijing responded within minutes to Washington's announcement, saying they would impose tariff measures "of the same scale and strength".
"China is unwilling to have a trade war, but the Chinese side has no choice but to strongly oppose this, due to the United States' myopic behaviour that will harm both parties," the commerce ministry website said.
Earlier on Friday, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman Geng Shuang told journalists that Beijing would fight back.
"If the US side adopts unilateral measures of protectionism and damages China's interests, then we will respond right away, and take necessary measures to resolutely safeguard our own legitimate rights and interests," Geng said.
Trump has long vowed to fulfil his campaign pledge to clamp down on what he considers unfair Chinese trading practices.
The statement said an investigation had found that "China's acts, policies and practices related to technology transfer, intellectual property, and innovation are unreasonable and discriminatory, and burden US commerce."
The second tranche of products will undergo further review. It includes a list of products which USTR argues have benefited from Chinese industrial policies, including the Made in China 2025 policy.
Launched in 2015, the policy sets out to turn the world's second-biggest economy into an advanced manufacturing "superpower" while setting self-sufficiency quotas.
- Army chief, DG ISI call on PM Imran ahead of China visit04:44 PM | 26 Jan, 2022
- 70 endangered falcons die in custody of Karachi Customs03:59 PM | 26 Jan, 2022
- Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech welcome their first child01:18 PM | 26 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021