Indian colonel among 20 killed in violent face-off with Chinese soldiers in Ladakh
The soldiers were not shot but were killed in a physical fight that involved stones and batons.
NEW DELHI – Indian army has acknowledged that 20 of its personnel, including a Colonel, were killed in a violent face-off with Chinese soldiers at Galwan Valley in Ladakh.
According to India's NDTV, senior military officials from both sides are meeting to defuse the situation. Army sources told the Indian media that the soldiers were not shot but were killed in a physical fight on Indian Territory that involved stones and batons.
Indian army initially said three of its soldiers have been killed.
Meanwhile, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian at a regular press briefing in Beijing today said that Indian troops seriously violated the consensus and twice crossed the border line for illegal activities.
They provoked and attacked Chinese personnel which led to serious physical conflict between the two sides.
He said China has lodged strong protest and representation with the India side.
China-India military standoff unlikely to end ... 05:13 PM | 9 Jun, 2020
BEIJING – The ongoing military standoff between China and India could continue for a little ...
The China-India border dispute covers nearly 3,500 kilometers (2,175 miles) of frontier that the two countries call the Line of Actual Control. They fought a war in 1962 that spilled into Ladakh. The two sides have been trying since the early 1990s to settle their dispute without success.
China claims about 90,000 square kilometers (35,000 square miles) of territory under New Delhi’s control.
- Smart lockdown imposed in seven UCs in Karachi till July 1811:04 AM | 4 Jul, 2020
- Coronavirus affecting worldwide peace and security: UN10:01 AM | 4 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 225,000 cases of coronavirus – 4,619 confirmed ...09:47 AM | 4 Jul, 2020
- Unplanned major cities threat to agriculture land, environment: PM ...08:41 AM | 4 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan’s Google team briefs steps towards digitization, computer ...12:44 AM | 4 Jul, 2020
- Samina Peerzada pays her respects to the late Saroj Khan03:22 PM | 3 Jul, 2020
- Bollywood choreographer Saroj Khan passes away at 7110:50 AM | 3 Jul, 2020
- Kashmiri lives also matter, says Mehwish Hayat10:15 AM | 3 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020