Pakistani official arrested in London over money laundering charges
LONDON - British authorities briefly arrested a former Pakistani government official and his wife on Monday on charges of money laundering allegedly as a result of corrupt practices in Pakistan.
The UK’s National Crime Agency (NCA) said in a press release that “officers from the NCA’s International Corruption Unit have arrested a former Pakistani Politically Exposed Person, aged in his 40s, and his wife, aged in her 30s, in connection with alleged money laundering in the United Kingdom believed to be the result of corruption in Pakistan”.
Sources said International Corruption Unit of the NCA arrested the Pakistani couple from Surrey country.
The couple was apprehended for not showing the legitimate source of income of £8 million assets.
The Pakistani person, aged over 40 years and his wife aged more than 30 years, were released after interrogation. Further investigation was also underway.
Sources said Pakistani’s National Accountability Bureau (NAB) and Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) helped NCA in the investigation.
According to Geo News, the couple was arrested three days ago and the NCA kept them in custody for 36 hours before being released.
Meanwhile, Special Assistant to Prime Minister on Accountability Shehzad Akbar while speaking in Geo News programme, “Aaj Shahzeb Khanzada Kay Sath” said the Pakistani person arrested in London was the former public office holder in Pakistan.
He fled to London from Pakistan and invested money in London.
Shehzad Akbar went on to say Pakistani government assisted NCA .
- Hard times over, country heading towards progress, prosperity: PM ...11:47 PM | 26 Jan, 2020
- US consulate Lahore to start visa service; says CG Katherine Rodriguez11:30 PM | 26 Jan, 2020
- AIOU upgrades scholarship scheme to support deserving students09:12 PM | 26 Jan, 2020
- Agha Ali reacts to rumours with Hina Altaf04:19 PM | 25 Jan, 2020
- Brad Pitt takes ownership of mistakes that ruined his and Aniston's ...01:55 PM | 25 Jan, 2020
- PISA 2020: Sajal Aly bags nomination for ‘Best TV Actress’ award01:45 PM | 25 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019