Pakistani official arrested in London over money laundering charges
The UK’s National Crime Agency (NCA) said in a press release that “officers from the NCA’s International Corruption Unit have arrested a former Pakistani Politically Exposed Person, aged in his 40s, and his wife, aged in her 30s, in connection with alleged money laundering in the United Kingdom believed to be the result of corruption in Pakistan”.
Sources said International Corruption Unit of the NCA arrested the Pakistani couple from Surrey country.
The couple was apprehended for not showing the legitimate source of income of £8 million assets.
The Pakistani person, aged over 40 years and his wife aged more than 30 years, were released after interrogation. Further investigation was also underway.
Sources said Pakistani’s National Accountability Bureau (NAB) and Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) helped NCA in the investigation.
According to Geo News, the couple was arrested three days ago and the NCA kept them in custody for 36 hours before being released.
Meanwhile, Special Assistant to Prime Minister on Accountability Shehzad Akbar while speaking in Geo News programme, “Aaj Shahzeb Khanzada Kay Sath” said the Pakistani person arrested in London was the former public office holder in Pakistan.
He fled to London from Pakistan and invested money in London.
Shehzad Akbar went on to say Pakistani government assisted NCA.
- Pakistan proclaims new law to protect rights of journalists10:57 PM | 1 Dec, 2021
- Lt Gen Sarfraz Ali formally installed as Colonel Commandant of Azad ...09:07 PM | 1 Dec, 2021
- British lawmakers laud Pakistan’s role in Afghanistan peace process08:29 PM | 1 Dec, 2021
- Pakistan issues visas to Indian pilgrims to visit Hindu shrine in ...07:53 PM | 1 Dec, 2021
- Aijaz Aslam's father passes away07:04 PM | 1 Dec, 2021
- Sarah Khan and Falak Shabir's new romantic video goes viral05:23 PM | 1 Dec, 2021
- Syra Yousuf spills the beans about co-parenting and divorce06:29 PM | 1 Dec, 2021