China firms up connectivity projects with Nepal, asks India to join in
Speaking to reporters after meeting his visiting Nepalese counterpart Pradeep Kumar Gyawali, Wang brushed aside a question that suggested that the landlocked Himalayan country was trying to balance relations between India and China.
“I believe that China, Nepal and India are natural friends and partners. We are neighbours connected by the same mountains and rivers,” Wang said. “As we say in China, family members and neighbours wish each other well.”
“We believe that such a network, when well developed, can also create conditions for an economic corridor connecting China, Nepal and India. We hope that such cooperation can contribute to the development and prosperity of all three countries,” he said.
“Bilateral relations have reached a new starting point,” Gyawali said. “The Nepali side will work with the Chinese side to increase mutual trust and reach win-win agreements in infrastructure, trade, tourism, culture and other fields.”
China has been aggressively courting Nepal with multi-billion dollar infrastructure projects, including in the power, railway and road sectors. China and Nepal signed a memorandum of understanding on bilateral cooperation under the BRI framework in May 2017.
Gyawali, who is said to be on a goodwill visit to China, earlier met vice president Wang Qishan at the Zhongnanhai Leadership Compound in Beijing. According to Nepalese media, Gyawali’s visit is a precursor to Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli’s first visit to China after taking over the premiership.
Gyawali’s visit comes a little over a week after Oli travelled to New Delhi — his first trip abroad as prime minister. During his earlier tenure as premier in 2016, Oli had signed multiple deals with China to use Chinese roads and ports, aimed reducing landlocked Nepal’s dependence on India for trade and transit.
- US jury finds ex-cop Derek Chauvin guilty of murder in George Floyd ...03:15 AM | 21 Apr, 2021
- Ban on TLP will remain intact despite peace deal, says Fawad01:13 AM | 21 Apr, 2021
- Indian politicians using stray dogs to spread election messages in UP12:49 AM | 21 Apr, 2021
- PAKvZIM – Trophy unveiled ahead of first T20 clash (VIDEO)11:42 PM | 20 Apr, 2021
- PM Imran wishes India’s Manmohan Singh speedy recovery from COVID-1911:00 PM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Ertugrul star Engin Altan flaunts his surfing skills in new viral ...03:29 PM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Umer Sharif’s birthday bash hosted by Nida and Yasir02:55 PM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021