'King of Cling' fashion designer Azzedine Alaia dies at 77
Alaia moved from Tunisia to Paris in 1957 and worked for Guy Laroche, Christian Dior and Thierry Mugler before founding his own label.
The couturier was a star of the Paris fashion world in the 1980s and 1990s, when models Linda Evangelista, Cindy Crawford and Naomi Campbell strode down the catwalks in his trademark figure-hugging designs.
Dubbed the “King of Cling”, his dresses were worn by former U.S. first lady Michele Obama, pop singer Madonna and French actress Marion Cotillard.
Azzedine Alaïa passed away at the age of 77 today. One of the most influential couturiers in the world. You will be missed.— IAMFASHION (@IAMFASHlON) November 18, 2017
“I even do my ready-to-wear samples like couture.” pic.twitter.com/tODgcFx4Yq
Rest in peace to the master Azzedine Alaïa. Fashion is indebted to his legacy. pic.twitter.com/ibTDkUZqnt— Janelle Okwodu (@okjanelle) November 18, 2017
These were my last moments w/ Azzedine Alaïa. He was just behind the door to my right as I sat on his stoop & sang “Joanne” to my fans. I’ll cherish this moment in my heart forever. As I was leaving he would not stop showering me w/ love+gifts. There will never be another #Alaïa https://t.co/zBNuW5kapg— Lady Gaga (@ladygaga) November 19, 2017
Hearing of the passing of Azzedine Alaia. A designer who embraced women of color as models and muses when others didn't. May he rest in power and peace. pic.twitter.com/TzdiJUfBLo— Ava DuVernay (@ava) November 18, 2017
R.I.P. Azzedine Alaïa. I am deeply saddened to hear that one of the most talented and iconic designers who shaped contemporary fashion has left us. Thank you for always empowering women and embracing diversity!— Sonam K Ahuja (@sonamakapoor) November 18, 2017
Azzedine Alaia, uncompromising master of the fashion form, has died in Paris. He defined what it meant to be a designer.— Vanessa Friedman (@VVFriedman) November 18, 2017
UNESCO director-general Audrey Azoulay, a former French culture minister, said Alaia was a “genius weaving links between fashion, architecture and sculpture, creating dresses to highlight women’s bodies”.
Alaia final show in July 2017, was opened by supermodel Naomi Campbell one of his protegees who affectionately knew him as “Papa”.
- State Bank hikes interest rate by 150bps to 13.75pc to tackle 'rising ...05:10 PM | 23 May, 2022
- No plans to remove power, fuel subsidies ahead of IMF talks: Finance ...04:29 PM | 23 May, 2022
- Nora Fatehi’s new bold dance video at beach goes viral03:23 PM | 23 May, 2022
- Dollar hits all-time high at Rs19212:45 PM | 12 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022