US Senator Lindsey Graham praises PM Imran's role in Afghan peace process
The South Carolina Republican has also recommended a meeting among three world leaders pivotal to the Afghan reconciliation and peace process — Prime Minister Imran Khan, US President Donald Trump and Afghan President Ashraf Ghani.
Graham, who is close to President Donald Trump, conveyed his appreciation for Pakistan's positive role in the ongoing efforts to find a political settlement in Afghanistan, a press release issued by the Prime Minister's Office said.
US Senator Lindsey Graham (close to Trump) just gave a gushing press conf in Islamabad, praising Pakistan for acting against militants in tribal regions, and said he was “blown away” on meeting Imran Khan... big contrast from usual US rhetoric pic.twitter.com/1D7ccSJBXR— Secunder Kermani (@SecKermani) January 20, 2019
PM Imran told Senator Graham that Pakistan wants to work with all stakeholders for the Afghan peace process.
While speaking to media, the senator said that the Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa has given a dinner in his honour tonight.
He said that he will apprise the US president of these meetings. The senator said that whatever Pakistan army did in 18 months has been the US’ wish for 18 years.
Senator Graham said that the US cannot move away from Afghanistan as it has a lot to do here and Pakistan installing border fence is a positive step.
The senator said that the US has been mistaken to continuously change its policy vis-à-vis Pakistan.
Seems US officials didn’t meet the Taliban in Pakistan as they had hoped to - but are still making warm noises about Pakistan’s involvement in the peace negotiations... let’s see when the next set of discussions happen https://t.co/ZsBU0PgFQv— Secunder Kermani (@SecKermani) January 20, 2019
The Republican also called on Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs earlier today. During the meeting, the two exchanged views on issues relating to bilateral cooperation, the situation in Afghanistan, as well as regional and international issues, Radio Pakistan reported.
Qureshi and Graham also reviewed various aspects of the bilateral relationship to increase cooperation in the economic and trade sectors, the report said.
- Lahore Garrison Golf Team emerges as champions of Punjab09:20 AM | 4 Mar, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 04 March 202108:50 AM | 4 Mar, 2021
- Gladiators register maiden victory in PSL-608:30 AM | 4 Mar, 2021
- PM Imran to seek fresh vote of confidence from parliament11:40 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- PSL 6 – Quetta Gladiators beat Multan Sultans by 22 runs11:05 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Nauheed Cyrusi recreates Piya Basanti as the famous track turns 2007:00 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Birthday girl Shraddha Kapoor shows her dance moves at beach party06:13 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Anurag Kashyap and Taapsee Pannu face raids over 'tax evasion'05:14 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021