Opposition's self-serving interests could get Pakistan FATF-blacklisted, says PM Imran
ISLAMABAD - Prime Minister Imran Khan Tuesday said the self-serving interests of Opposition leaders were divergent with national interests to an extent that even could get the country blacklisted by Financial Action Task Force.
"To blackmail for NRO by defaming NAB, they would even have Pakistan put on FATF blacklist to destroy nation's economy and increase poverty," the Prime Minister said in a series of tweets.
The Prime Minister, however, said he would not succumb to any pressure by the Opposition for a relief to corrupt.
"Let me make clear: No matter what happens, my government will not allow any NRO as it would be betrayal of nation's trust in holding plunderers of public wealth accountable," Imran Khan said.
The Prime Minister mentioned that today in the Senate, the Opposition defeated two critical FATF-related bills including Anti Money Laundering and Islamabad Capital Territory Waqf bills.
He said as the accountability noose tightened, the opposition leaders became desperate to save their corrupt money by trying to prevent parliament from functioning.
He said the Opposition undermined the government's effective COVID-19 strategy, which was a recognized global success story and was not trying to sabotage Pakistan's efforts to exit FATF grey list.
The Prime Minister said "the opposition tries to hide behind facade of democracy to protect their loot and plunder", adding that "they keep threatening to bring down government unless given NRO." He recalled that President Pervez Musharraf gave NROs to two political leaders which quadrupled Pakistan's debt and destroyed economy.
"There will be no more NROs," the Prime Minister categorically said.
- Lahore man hires contract killers for Rs 1.2mn to murder father02:00 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Oppo Reno5 is Now Available in the Market for all Photography ...01:23 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- 23 die in Norway after receiving first dose of Pfizer vaccine01:05 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Divine gesture – New Zealand captain pauses match to check out ...12:30 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Smart Office – Pakistan to launch WhatsApp-like app by June11:46 AM | 16 Jan, 2021
- What is the relationship between PM Imran Khan's wife Bushra Bibi and ...05:27 PM | 15 Jan, 2021
- Tahmina Javed enters Pakistan's drama industry07:30 PM | 15 Jan, 2021
- Mathira reveals about her relationship with ex-husband06:17 PM | 15 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- #2020InReview – Pakistan's initiatives in the year 202010:55 PM | 4 Jan, 2021