Pakistani weightlifter misses medal at Tokyo Olympics, but wins hearts
Although Pakistani weightlifter Talha Talib lost the opportunity to win a gold medal at the Tokyo Olympics, he won millions of hearts.
Talha fell just two kilograms short of history at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics as he lifted a total of 320 kilograms on Sunday.
Talha, competing in the 67kg men's weightlifting category, was on top of the race before being surpassed by athletes from China, Colombia, and Italy in final attempts.
The 21-year-old weightlifter — first from Pakistan in 44 years — entered the competition without a coach, yet he showed his mettle and won a huge applaud from people from all walks of life in Pakistan.
He fell, but stood up and made Pakistan proud, great effort Talha Talib! 👏👏👏 pic.twitter.com/ic6TXdCXWT— Pakistan Cricket (@TheRealPCB) July 25, 2021
Hats off to #TalhaTalib!! Welldone Talha for making the whole country proud of you. Remarkable achievement despite challenges, lack of facilities and support.— Faisal Javed Khan (@FaisalJavedKhan) July 25, 2021
Pakistan Sports Board needs to wake up. Major improvements needed. #SupportPakistanTalent #Olympics pic.twitter.com/z11bqL1hZK
Ur passion & hard work leads u to be a Achiever. Congratulations #TalhaTalib 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 #Olympics . U made Pakistan 🇵🇰 proud. Ppl or federations not supporting Athletes like u by not providing necessary facilities should be accountable pic.twitter.com/GjxsAmFEJQ— Mohammad Hafeez (@MHafeez22) July 25, 2021
Talha Talib reminds us again how incredible is the talent and resilience of our athletes. They keep performing without much support and facilities. Just imagine what he could have achieved, if he was supported by sports bodies and sponsors ! #olympics— Sana Mir ثناء میر (@mir_sana05) July 25, 2021
For us you are a winner 🥇 pic.twitter.com/KjE38XuqYO
- We are proud of you Champ, keep your head high! 👍👍 pic.twitter.com/hyqMK0maYA— Shoaib Malik 🇵🇰 (@realshoaibmalik) July 25, 2021
Later, Talha Talib took to Twitter to thank people for all their love and support.
Alhamdulillah 🙏🇵🇰❤️ Thank you everyone for your support and your love❤️☺️. In Sha Allah Next time it will be more better. Remember me in your prayers ❤️— Talha Talib (@_talha_talib) July 25, 2021
.#talhatalib #tokyo #tokyo2020 #olympics #champion #pakistanzindabad pic.twitter.com/5741CKoYTy
- Huge economic transformation project for Karachi under CPEC launched08:56 PM | 25 Sep, 2021
- Pakistan slams India at UNGA, says Kashmir is not ‘internal ...08:13 PM | 25 Sep, 2021
- LIVE: Northern bat first against Sindh in 6th national T20 match07:17 PM | 25 Sep, 2021
- First teasers of Yumna Zaidi, Azaan Khan and Sajaly Aly’s ‘Ishq e ...05:59 PM | 25 Sep, 2021
- Fatima Sohail spotted enjoying vacations in northern areas04:45 PM | 25 Sep, 2021