Ten killed in Indian police station siege
Indian police managed to overcome the heavily armed men after a 12-hour gun battle.
Four police officers including the local superintendent and three civilians also died in the operation in the usually calm northern state of Punjab.
“The police superintendent fought them bravely but unfortunately he was shot in the head and died on the spot,” said Anand Kumar, part of the Special Forces team that entered the building.
The assault only ended at around 5pm when security forces finally entered the police station where the unidentified gunmen had been holed up.
The siege focused on an abandoned building where the attackers were holed up. It dragged on because security forces had wanted to capture at least one of the militants alive, a senior government source said.
The group of attackers came in a white Maruti-Suzuki car, dressed in army uniforms, said Harcharan Bains, an adviser to Indian Punjab's chief minister.
The militants hijacked a car and then fired at the bus and a roadside eatery before attacking a police station near Gurdaspur, a border town in Punjab, police said. Eight injured people were hospitalised, seven of them in serious condition, the Press Trust of India news agency reported.
Five bombs were also found planted on a railway track in the state, suggesting an attempted coordinated attack around the time when India is marking the anniversary of a near-war with Pakistan in northern Kashmir in 1999.
Jitendra Singh, a junior minister in Prime Minister Narendra Modi's office, alleged Pakistan's involvement. "There have been earlier reports of Pakistan infiltration and cross-border mischief in this area," said Singh, whose constituency in the Jammu region borders Gurdaspur.
However, director general of Punjab police, Sumedh Singh Saini said, "It is too early to say who the attackers were."
Pakistan has denied any involvement in insurgencies in Indian Punjab and Jammu and Kashmir.
- PIA all set to start direct flights from Karachi to Skardu01:57 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Hong Kong bans flights from Pakistan, other countries over fears of ...01:20 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- PM Imran vows to run collective campaign against blasphemous ...01:03 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Physical classes for grade 9 to 12 resume across Pakistan12:02 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Hiba Bukhari wins hearts by reciting Naat07:23 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Aamir Liaquat takes a terrible fall during race in Ramadan show ...06:19 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Imran Abbas appointed goodwill ambassador by Turkey03:19 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021