Japan gaming giant Nintendo records hundreds of millions in losses despite Pokemon Go success
Nintendo warned last week that even the craze for the new app was unlikely to translate into bumper profits going forward, as the company has lost more than $233 million this year on a stronger yen and lacklustre sales,
The Super Mario maker said unit sales of its Wii U game consoles more than halved from the same quarter last year while a soaring yen helped erase profits.
“In terms of earnings, it’s going to be a tough year for Nintendo since it has no plans to release new consoles or promising titles for now,” said Hideki Yasuda, an analyst at Ace Research Institute in Tokyo.
The company is the creator of the Pokemon franchise but the game, released on July 5, was developed and distributed by US-based Niantic, a spinoff of Google.
- FC Team secures second consecutive Gobi's Paints Polo Cup trophy02:51 PM | 25 Oct, 2021
- Hilarious memes flood Twitter after Pakistan end losing streak ...12:58 PM | 25 Oct, 2021
- IHC terms TikTok ban as ‘violation of constitutional rights’12:35 PM | 25 Oct, 2021
- ‘Don't get overexcited’, Babar Azam tells teammates after ...11:53 AM | 25 Oct, 2021
- ‘Reach Every Door’ Covid vaccination drive begins in Punjab today11:24 AM | 25 Oct, 2021
- Waqar Zaka advises Shah Rukh Khan to settle in Pakistan07:00 PM | 24 Oct, 2021
- Shahveer Jafry ties the knot with Ayesha Baig in enchanting ceremony03:30 PM | 24 Oct, 2021
- Shahroz Sabzwari reacts to his shirtless viral video01:30 PM | 24 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021