Two dead, 10 injured as Shalimar Express collides with oil tanker
SHEIKHUPURA - At least two people were killed and several others injured as Shalimar Express - a Karachi-bound passenger train, collided with an oil tanker leading to a huge explosion in the wee hours of Tuesday, confirmed DCO Tariq Akram according to media reports.
According to initial reports, the incident occurred at around 11:20pm when Shalimar Express which was coming from Lahore hit a loaded oil tanker at a railway crossing, Haran Minar Phatak.
The injured have been shifted to the district headquarters hospital.
Seven carriages of the train caught fire after the collision. Firefighting services managed to extinguish the flames in two of the carriages, Dawn reported.
DCO Tariq Akram said that the oil tanker's breaks failed moments before the train collided with it, however DSP Khalid Gujjar claimed that "The accident happened as the railway crossing was ungated."
According to reports, the high tension wires near the station had also caught fire and the city had plunged into darkness. All the hospitals in Lahore and Sheikupura were put on high alert as the number of causalities was feared to mount.
According to media reports, Federal Railway Minister Khuwaja Saad Rafique has also confirmed that driver of the train has succumbed to his injuries.
- Students of grade 1-12 will be promoted without taking exams: Sindh ...10:52 AM | 1 Jun, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 72,460 cases of coronavirus – 1,5 43 confirmed ...10:10 AM | 1 Jun, 2020
- Pakistan has cheapest fuel cost in South Asia, says PM Iman11:56 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Two Pakistan High commission officials asked to leave India in 24 ...10:40 PM | 31 May, 2020
- ‘History in Making’ — Pakistani plane flies directly to US for ...10:07 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Raising a daughter is a huge responsibility: Humaima Malick05:08 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Zaira Wasim deactivates social media accounts over trolling03:41 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Kylie Jenner is not a billionaire, says Forbes03:09 PM | 30 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020