Syrian Nusra Front and Al-Qaeda split up
The footage broadcast by Al-Jazeera news followed several days of online chatter over a split between Al-Qaeda and its Syrian affiliate, a main rival of the militant Islamic State (IS) group. The Al-Jazeera report claimed that the Al-Nusra Front wanted to distance itself from IS to avoid foriegn airstrikes.
Appearing in public for the first time, Al-Nusra leader Jolani said the group would change its name to Jabhat Fateh al-Sham (Front of the Conquest of Syria) and unify ranks with other mainstream fighters in Syria.
“We decided to stop operating under the banner of Al-Nusra and to set up a new front, called Jabhat Fateh al-Sham,” said Jolani.
Al-Qaida’s leader, Ayman al-Zawahri, had earlier given his blessing to al-Nusra Front to break organisational ties with the global organisation in the interest of preserving its unity and continuing its fight in Syria.
- Dutchwoman named world's tallest bodybuilder by Guinness World Records05:31 PM | 21 Oct, 2021
- Sheikh Rashid to watch Pak-India T20 match in Dubai04:20 PM | 21 Oct, 2021
- FM Qureshi, DG ISI in Kabul to discuss bilateral ties with ...03:59 PM | 21 Oct, 2021
- Interior minister updates PM Imran on law & order, security03:25 PM | 21 Oct, 2021
- 'Begum Shak Karti Hey' – Saba Qamar and Abrar Ul Haq share teaser ...02:59 PM | 21 Oct, 2021
- Dananeer Mobeen wins hearts as she recites Qaseeda Burda Shareef02:32 PM | 21 Oct, 2021
- Usman Mukhtar and Zunaira Inam glow at their dreamy mayoun ceremony01:11 PM | 21 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021