Election of interim PM: President Mamnoon calls NA session on Aug 1
The president's decision follows a landmark Supreme Court ruling on the Panama Papers case in which Nawaz Sharif was disqualified as PM after being deemed unfit to hold office as he had been dishonest to the Parliament and the courts in not disclosing his employment in the Dubai-based Capital FZE company in his 2013 nomination papers.
Sources in the presidency said that the session is expected to convene around 3pm on Tuesday, with a one-point agenda consisting of the election of a short-term successor to Sharif.
The PML-N has agreed upon Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, the former petroleum minister, as its candidate for interim prime minister. The election of the PML-N's fielded candidates to the post is considered to be a foregone conclusion, as the party currently holds a hefty majority in parliament and can independently vote them into office.
Nawaz Sharif's brother, Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, has been nominated as the party's candidate for prime minister.
- Big Mac lover celebrates 50th anniversary of eating ‘best ...09:41 PM | 19 May, 2022
- New Zealand pays Pakistan compensation for abruptly ending 2021 tour09:35 PM | 19 May, 2022
- Minimum fine of Rs2,000 for traffic violation in Lahore09:10 PM | 19 May, 2022
- Pakistan Army soldier martyred in South Waziristan IED explosion08:15 PM | 19 May, 2022
- Sunny Leone’s video of getting body massage goes viral06:50 PM | 19 May, 2022
- 'Willing to play Maryam Nawaz on-screen' – Saba Qamar reveals her ...05:55 PM | 19 May, 2022
- Yumna Zaidi and Merub Ali win hearts with latest video05:09 PM | 19 May, 2022
- Dollar hits all-time high at Rs19212:45 PM | 12 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022