Election of interim PM: President Mamnoon calls NA session on Aug 1
The president's decision follows a landmark Supreme Court ruling on the Panama Papers case in which Nawaz Sharif was disqualified as PM after being deemed unfit to hold office as he had been dishonest to the Parliament and the courts in not disclosing his employment in the Dubai-based Capital FZE company in his 2013 nomination papers.
Sources in the presidency said that the session is expected to convene around 3pm on Tuesday, with a one-point agenda consisting of the election of a short-term successor to Sharif.
The PML-N has agreed upon Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, the former petroleum minister, as its candidate for interim prime minister. The election of the PML-N's fielded candidates to the post is considered to be a foregone conclusion, as the party currently holds a hefty majority in parliament and can independently vote them into office.
Nawaz Sharif's brother, Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, has been nominated as the party's candidate for prime minister.
- Taliban delegation begins talks with Western officials, rights ...11:52 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Over 22,000 government officers in Pakistan are dual national: Report11:05 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- South Africa clean sweep ODI series against India10:56 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Turkey launching 50 new development projects in Pakistan this year10:17 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- British lawmaker claims she was removed as minister over 'Muslimness'09:32 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Asim Azhar wishes Merub Ali on her birthday04:19 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Mawra Hocane spills the beans on her wedding plans03:00 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Hina Altaf’s father passes away08:39 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021