National policy soon to regulate Afghan refugees: Interior Minister
He said that successive governments had borne the burden of hundreds of thousands of refugees coming into Pakistan. However, he felt it was now time to form a comprehensive national policy on the issue.
Talking informally to the media, Nisar said a meeting would be held after the return of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, which would settle the matter.
He said Pakistan had demonstrated a goodwill and permitted Afghan refugees in rural areas but lamented the lack of rules and regulations governing their stay inside the country.
He stated the first rule was that the international community would assist and support Pakistan and the other was that no refugee would be permitted to purchase property in Pakistan.
Nisar also spoke about his pet project, the re-verification of identity cards throughout the country. He said under the re-verification drive of Computerized National Identity Cards (CNICs), any foreigner/refugee who voluntarily returned CNICs obtained illegally within two months would be given refugee status. However, he warned if any fake card holders were found after the two-month deadline, they would be sent directly to prison.
- Ace Junior League inaugural match tees off today04:26 PM | 2 Oct, 2022
- ‘Khalistan-Pakistan Zindabad’ slogans in Aam Admi Party ...04:03 PM | 2 Oct, 2022
- Pakistan issues fresh travel advisory for domestic, international ...03:22 PM | 2 Oct, 2022
- Inside Ali Fazal and Richa Chadha’s vibrant Mehandi, Sangeet ...11:28 AM | 2 Oct, 2022
- Did Feroze Khan refuse to pay Rs200,000 child support to ex-wife?11:05 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Bollywood actress Rani Mukerji set to release her autobiography04:48 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022