Nine Pakistanis die in Kuwait fire
FRAWANIYA/MIAN CHANNU: At least nine workers were killed and 12 others wounded in a fire at an old building used to house migrants on Thursday.
According to Kuwait's Health Ministry, all the victims were of Pakistani or Indian descent. At least five of the injured were in critical condition.
Family sources at Mian Channu confirmed that Muhammad Asif, his mother, his wife, two sons, two daughters, one nephew and sister in law are among the deceased. Asif's brother Tariq has been admitted to the hospital.
According to the family, the fire erupted due to a short circuit in the building.
The ill-fated family has been living in Kuwaiti city Farwaniya for the last fifteen years.
Expatriate workers, mostly from the Pakistan and India, make up about 70 percent of petroleum-rich Kuwait’s 4.3-million population.
The oil-rich Gulf state has received increasing amounts of flak in recent years for the conditions in which it houses migrant workers. Criticism of the country has been especially loud since reports came to light that scores of migrant workers were dying in their quarters or on work sites.
Over the past two years, the influx of migrant workers into Kuwait has skyrocketed in preparation of 2020 World Cup in the country. The Gulf state has earmarked a number of stadiums and other sports facilities for construction.
- Imran Ghazali appointed as head of information ministry’s digital ...11:46 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Afghan President Ghani phones PM Imran, discusses peace talks, ...09:34 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Three arrested in Faisalabad for displaying weapons on social media ...08:19 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Trump gives 45 days to Microsoft for acquiring TikTok07:21 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Nothing Like Everything: Ayyan Ali announces first-ever music album04:56 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Filmmakers around the world take to part in Iran’s Resistance Film ...10:27 AM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Hamza Ali Abbasi, Naimal Khawar Khan blessed with a baby boy12:37 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020