WB approves $200 million for Balochistan water management project
These river basins were selected based on an assessment of surface water resources, according to a statement.
International Development Association, a grant lending arm of the World Bank, will finance the project. The loan is being extended on standard IDA terms with 25 years maturity, including a grace period of 5 years.
“Balochistan is the least water-secure province in Pakistan and farmers here face the greatest risks from climate change”, says Illango Patchamuthu, the World Bank Country Director for Pakistan.
“The Project is designed to boost farmer incomes through new irrigation infrastructure and improved on-farm management and rangeland management. An associated objective is building the province’s capacity for long term water resources planning,” he added.
Under the project, communities will be involved in the construction and rehabilitation of irrigation and drinking water supply facilities, flood protection infrastructure, watershed management systems and environmental protection works.
The project will mainly benefit farmers with small holdings between 12.3 acres to 12.4 acres engaged in irrigated agriculture, the statement said. The project will also strengthen the province’s hydro-meteorological monitoring and river basin information systems.
- Ace Junior League inaugural match tees off today04:26 PM | 2 Oct, 2022
- ‘Khalistan-Pakistan Zindabad’ slogans in Aam Admi Party ...04:03 PM | 2 Oct, 2022
- Pakistan issues fresh travel advisory for domestic, international ...03:22 PM | 2 Oct, 2022
- SBA, Korean Consul-General focuses on Sharjah’s ‘Guest of ...03:00 PM | 2 Oct, 2022
- At least 174 dead, hundreds injured amid deadly stampede at ...02:15 PM | 2 Oct, 2022
- Inside Ali Fazal and Richa Chadha’s vibrant Mehandi, Sangeet ...11:28 AM | 2 Oct, 2022
- Did Feroze Khan refuse to pay Rs200,000 child support to ex-wife?11:05 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Bollywood actress Rani Mukerji set to release her autobiography04:48 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022