Justice Saqib Nisar sworn in as 25th Chief Justice of Pakistan
ISLAMABAD – Justice Mian Saqib Nisar was sworn in as the 25th chief justice of Pakistan, here on Saturday.
President Mamnoon Hussain administered the oath to Justice Nisar at a ceremony held at the presidency. The president had appointed Justice Nisar as the country's top judge on Dec 7.
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, chairman Senate, speaker National Assembly, federal ministers, services chiefs, parliamentarians, diplomats and judges of the apex court attended the ceremony.
Justice Mian Saqib Nisar, who is the senior-most judge of the apex court has replaced Chief Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali who completed his term on Friday.
As the Supreme Court’s Chief Justice takes oath, his first challenge would be the composition of a larger bench to proceed further on the Panamagate case.
The SC in November took up petitions seeking Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s disqualification in the wake of Panama Papers, which in April disclosed that the PM’s family members had stashed away money in offshore companies.
Justice Saqib Nisar
Hon’ble Mr Justice Mian Saqib Nisar was born on 18.01.1954 at Lahore; passed his Matriculation from Cathedral High School, Lahore and Graduation from Government College, Lahore, Bachelor of Law was done from the University of Punjab in the year 1979-80; joined legal profession as an Advocate on 02.05.1980, was enrolled as an Advocate of the High Court in 1982 and as Advocate of the Honorable Supreme Court of Pakistan in 1994, was elevated as the Judge of the High Court on 22.05.1998 and of the Supreme Court of Pakistan on 18.02.2010. His lordship was the member of a delegation representing Pakistan in “International Youth Conference” held in Libya, Tripoli in 1973.
His lordship had been practising in Civil, Commercial, Tax and Constitutional Law; had appeared in a large number of important constitutional cases both in the High Court and the Supreme Court. His lordship was elected as Secretary General of Lahore High Court Bar Association in the year 1991; was appointed Federal Law Secretary on 29.03.1997 and it is for the first time in the history of the country that someone from the Bar had been appointed to this post.
- It's not a good time to talk to India about better relations: PM Imran12:48 AM | 26 Oct, 2021
- PAKvNZ: After hunting down India, Pakistan ready to take on New ...12:18 AM | 26 Oct, 2021
- PM Imran holds meetings with Saudi crown prince, Bahraini counterpart ...11:27 PM | 25 Oct, 2021
- PM Imran congratulates Uzbek president on reelection10:55 PM | 25 Oct, 2021
- Thank You, Pakistan, For Welcoming Cricket Live Streaming For Free!10:31 PM | 25 Oct, 2021
- Mira Sethi questions the definition of masculinity that targets ...07:15 PM | 25 Oct, 2021
- Twitter hilariously trolls Akshay Kumar after Pakistan's victory ...05:38 PM | 25 Oct, 2021
- Babar Azam's father breaks into tears after Pakistan’s victory ...04:46 PM | 25 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021