Pakistan’s first ever trans-pride parade held in Lahore
Ms. Jannat Ali (Program Director Saathi Foundation) led the pride march. According to her, this is just a small appreciation to those who have worked hard for the rights of transgenders, and also, it is to remember those transgender people who lost their lives in hate or discriminatory crimes.
The event kicked off with a press conference by the activists leading the march. The march itself attracted a big crowd, as they took to the streets through the second most populous Pakistani city.
People held signs in support of the community and waved flags, as people on the street looked on.
'Gender X': 15 transgender persons issued driving ... 08:03 PM | 5 Mar, 2018
PESHAWAR - The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government on Monday issued driving licences to 15 transgender persons for the first ...
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) rights in Pakistan are considered taboo. Even in large cities, gays and lesbians have to be highly discreet about their sexual orientation. Pakistani law prescribes criminal penalties for same-sex sexual acts.
The Pakistan Penal Code of 1860, originally developed under colonialism, punishes sodomy with a possible prison sentence and has other provisions that impact the human rights of LGBT Pakistanis, under the guise of protecting public morality and order.
Despite being a legal offense, acts of homosexuality are not uniformly prosecuted in the country. Is this a step towards a free spirit Pakistan?
What are your views on this? Lets us know in the comments below.
- Pakistan has cheapest fuel cost in South Asia, says PM Iman11:56 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Two Pakistan High commission officials asked to leave India in 24 ...10:40 PM | 31 May, 2020
- ‘History in Making’ — Pakistani plane flies directly to US for ...10:07 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Petrol price slashed by Rs7.06 per litre in Pakistan09:01 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Abrar Ul Haq tests positive for COVID-1908:32 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Raising a daughter is a huge responsibility: Humaima Malick05:08 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Zaira Wasim deactivates social media accounts over trolling03:41 PM | 30 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020