US-Russia ties most important for international security: Putin tells Trump
In a new year letter, Putin also expressed that Moscow was ready for dialogue on a 'wide-ranging agenda'.
“Vladimir Putin stressed that [Russia-US] relations are the most important factor for providing strategic stability and international security. He confirmed that Russia is open for dialogue with the USA on the most wide-ranging agenda,” the Kremlin said in a statement issued on Sunday.
The comments come after US president cancelled a planned meeting with Putin at the G20 summit in Argentina in November, in the pretext of tensions about Moscow’s forces opening fire on Ukrainian naval ships and then seizing the vessels.
Trump has been repeatedly accused of not taking a harsh stance against Russia - which many allege was involved in election meddling that propelled Trump to power.
Though Moscow and Washington are in perpetual competition for global influence, they have been at opposite sides on multiple fronts with Syria being the noticeable one.
US pulling out troops from Syria as Trump claims ... 12:39 AM | 20 Dec, 2018
WASHINGTON - United States troops are being withdrawn from war-battered Syria after President Trump claimed that the ...
Recently when Trump announced to pull out from war-battered Syria, he faced criticism from many quarters which contended that the move would give Russia a major advantage in the strategically important Middle East.
In his message to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, Putin stressed that Russia will continue to provide 'all-round assistance to the government and people of Syria in their fight against terrorism and efforts to protect state sovereignty and territorial integrity,' the Russian president's office said.
"The Russian leader wished the Syrian people the earliest return to a peaceful and prosperous life," it added.
Putin's message to his U.S. counterpart was released in a summary of greetings to leaders around the world and it underscores that both the countries can find common grounds to work jointly in 2019.
- PMDC restored as Senate approves amendment bill11:59 PM | 3 Oct, 2022
- Man arrested for running fake Twitter account in Syra Yousuf's name11:40 PM | 3 Oct, 2022
- Hania Aamir leaves fans impressed as she sings 'Kesariya'10:59 PM | 3 Oct, 2022
- Kim Kardashian pays $1.26 million to settle SEC crypto charge09:34 PM | 3 Oct, 2022
- Ali Zafar releases new Punjabi song08:57 PM | 3 Oct, 2022
- US cipher is a reality, says PTI05:20 PM | 2 Oct, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022