9 Pakistani-origin men confirmed dead in Christchurch mosque terror attacks

  • Death toll from Friday's shootings has climbed to 50
  • 34 of 50 wounded remain hospitalized in the Christchurch Hospital and 12 are in critical condition
Pakistan

ISLAMABAD – Nine Pakistani origin men have been confirmed dead in the deadly Friday shooting in central Christchurch, the country’s foreign office confirmed on Sunday.

According to the Foreign Office Spokesperson Dr Muhammad Faisal, three more Pakistani’s have been identified, raising the death toll upto nine Pakistani origin men in the NewZealand terror attack.

The spokesperson said that three more Pakistani’s, “Mr Raza, his father Mr Ghulam Hussain and mother Ms Karam bibi have now been confirmed to have embraced shahadat in the terrorist attack in #NewZealand.”

Earlier, the FO confirmed the death of six Pakistani origin men identified as Sohail Shahid, Syed Jahandad Ali, Syed Areeb Ahmed, Mahboob Haroon, Naeem Rashid and his son Talha Naeem.

In a series of tweets Saturday morning, Foreign Office Spokesperson Dr Muhammad Faisal named all nine Pakistani origin victims of the terrorist attack at two mosques in New Zealand.

In a previous tweet, the FO spokesman said “one Pakistani injured identified as Muhammad Amin Nasir, DOB: 01-10-1951, from Hafizabad.”

The spokesman added that “He is in ICU and remains in critical condition.”

Pakistan mourns father-son duo killed in New Zealand mosque shooting

The Deputy High Commissioner said that they were making all-out efforts to find the missing Pakistanis and added that the Christchurch police and hospitals’ management were unable to give any details. He said that the officials of the high commission were visiting different hospitals and police stations to find out the missing Pakistanis.

The deputy high commissioner said that the government had shut all the mosques in New Zealand after the Christchurch attacks.

The FO spokesman, in a previous tweet, said Syed Moazzam Shah, Minister Political, Pakistan High Commission in New Zealand, is the focal person.

Forty-nine people were killed after a gunman opened fire at two mosques in the New Zealand city during Friday (Jumma) prayers. Forty-one people were shot dead at the Deans Ave mosque, seven were killed at the Linwood Ave attack, and one person shot in the second mosque attack died in hospital.

Death toll rises to 49 in terrorist attack at New Zealand mosques

New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush confirmed on Friday afternoon that police had arrested four people, three men and one woman, after the gunman shot at worshippers as they gathered for Friday prayers. He added he wouldn’t “assume that the threat is over”.

Bush also confirmed that reports of improvised explosive devices being strapped to vehicles had been deemed safe by defence force personnel.

Earlier, a Facebook Live video was posted by the account “Brenton Tarrant 9” with the credit “Brenton Tarrant was live” which showed the gunman attacking Christchurch’s Al Noor mosque.

The footage, filmed with a head-mounted camera, showed him firing indiscriminately at men, women and children from close range inside the mosque.

Who is Brenton Tarrant – the Australian shooter behind the New Zealand terror attack?

Police called on the public not to share the “extremely distressing” footage online. Facebook said it had removed the gunman’s Facebook and Instagram accounts and was working to remove any copies of the footage.

Following the Friday’s attack, Prime Minister Scott Morrison confirmed the man was an Australian citizen and described him as a violent, right-wing extremist terrorist. He said he had been briefed on the dossier.

“It is the work of hate, I’ve got no other way to describe it,” he said. “What’s born of hate is never good.”

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, speaking from New Plymouth, said it was “one of New Zealand’s darkest days”, describing the incidents as “an unprecedented act of violence”.