PYONGYANG – North Korea has announced to suspend its nuclear and missile tests with immediate effect and abolish a nuclear test site, state media confirmed on Saturday.
According to country’s official Korean Central News Agency, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un said his country no longer needed to conduct nuclear tests or intercontinental ballistic missile tests, signaling a visible shift in the diplomatic overtures of the country.
“To guarantee suspension of nuclear tests in a transparent manner, the republic’s northern nuclear test site will be abolished,” the KCNA continued.
The North Korea’s surprising decisions were made in a meeting of the ruling party’s full Central Committee, which had been convened to discuss a ‘new stage’ of policies.
The committee unanimously adopted a resolution that called for concentrating national efforts to achieve a strong socialist economy and “ground-breaking improvements in people’s lives”.
“To secure transparency on the suspension of nuclear tests, we will close the republic’s northern nuclear test site,” the party’s resolution said.
Soon after the historic decision, the US and South Korea welcomed the move and said it was a sign of progress and a promising start to upcoming talks.
US President Donald Trump also termed the suspension of nuke tests ‘good news for North Korea’.
North Korea has agreed to suspend all Nuclear Tests and close up a major test site. This is very good news for North Korea and the World – big progress! Look forward to our Summit.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 20, 2018
In another tweet, the president also confirmed the termination of nuclear tests, directly mentioning that the message was from 36-year-old Kim.
A message from Kim Jong Un: “North Korea will stop nuclear tests and launches of intercontinental ballistic missiles.”
Also will “Shut down a nuclear test site in the country’s Northern Side to prove the vow to suspend nuclear tests.” Progress being made for all!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 21, 2018
Moreover, South Korea also welcomed the decision with an official statement from the presidential office.
“North Korea’s decision is meaningful progress for the denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula, which the world wishes for,” the presidential office said in a statement.
“It will create a very positive environment for the success of the upcoming inter-Korean and North-US summits.” it added.
The decision comes weeks before ‘short and fat’ Kim Jong Un would be meeting ‘Dotard’ Donald Trump, for which the US President has confirmed that five locations were under consideration.