Pakistan

ISLAMABAD (Web Desk) – Pakistan on Tuesday dismissed reports that fighter jets and naval ships were dispatched to Yemen to fight Houthi rebels.


Article continues after the advertisement

 

“These reports are speculative, misleading and incorrect,” said a statement released by Foreign Office.

 

International media outlets reported Monday Pakistan had decided to send troops, PAF fighter jets and naval ships to Saudi Arabia.

 

Earlier in the day, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif assured a top-level meeting at the Prime Minister’s House that Pakistanis stranded in the war-torn Yemen would be evacuated as soon as possible.

 

According to reports, a Chinese ship will reach Aden on Wednesday to evacuate 200 Pakistanis and another 100 in Mukalla.

 

A Pakistan navy ship has already been dispatched on directions from Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to bring back the evacuees. The ship will reach Yemen on April 2.

 

About 75 Pakistanis still residing in Sanaa would either be airlifted or taken to Moqalla.

 

A Pakistani defence delegation – Defence Minister Khawaja Asif, PM’s Advisor Sartaj Aziz and representatives of three armed forces – has meanwhile left for Riyadh to assess the situation, discuss modalities and timing of sending Pakistani troops to Saudi Arabia.

 

“It was decided that a delegation would visit Saudi Arabia today for holding discussions on the matter,” an official communique said.

 

Also, Foreign Secretary Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry told Radio Pakistan that the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Saudi Arabia was important for Pakistan.

 

Tuesday’s meeting at the Prime Minister’s House took stock of the current situation in Yemen and the status of the remaining Pakistani expats in Yemen.