ISLAMABAD – The Supreme Court of Pakistan on Tuesday ordered former senior superintendent of police (SSP) Malir Rao Anwar, allegedly involved in the extra-judicial killing of Naqeebullah to appear before the court on January 24 (tomorrow). Fixing the case before a bench, headed by
ISLAMABAD – The Supreme Court of Pakistan on Tuesday ordered former senior superintendent of police (SSP) Malir Rao Anwar, allegedly involved in the extra-judicial killing of Naqeebullah to appear before the court on January 24 (tomorrow).
Fixing the case before a bench, headed by Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar, the court has also summoned other officials, including Inspector-General, Sindh, AD Khawaja, Advocate General Sindh. The court order further stated that no any adjournment will be granted on any ground.
The apex court has also ordered to put the name of former SSP Malir on Exit Control List (ECL). The orders come hours after the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) barred the suspended police officer from going abroad at the Islamabad airport.
Rao Anwar is also facing a departmental inquiry in wake of the killing of South Waziristan youth Naqeebullah Mehsud. However, the officer has refused to appear before the team, showing reservations regarding members of the committee.
Earlier today, Saqib Nisar hearing other cases observed that they have heard reports that Anwar is reluctant to appear before the inquiry committee, set up to probe killing of the South Waziristan youth in a ‘staged encounter.
Suo Moto Notice
Last week, Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Justice Mian Saqib Nisar took a suo motu notice over the ‘encounter’ of Naqeebullah Mehsud and summoned a report from the Sindh police chief in seven days.
On January 12, a police encounter took place in Shah Latif Town of Karachi under the supervision of Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Malir Rao Anwar. During this shoot-out, four alleged members of banned outfit Tahreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) were killed. Amongst these four alleged terrorists was 27-years-old Naseemullah, alias Naqeeb Mehsud.
Ever since his killing, disputed claims have emerged from his family that Naqeeb was abducted on 3rd January and his killing is extrajudicial. These claims have caused a social media uproar.
After the social media uproar against the ‘extrajudicial encounter’ of Naqeeb, Chairman PPP Bilawal Bhutto Zardari has ordered an inquiry into the case as more details pointing towards mysterious circumstances emerge.
Upon Bilawal’s direction, Sindh’s Home Miniter Sohail Anwar Siyal has appointed DIG Police South Zone, Karachi, to conduct an inquiry into the matter and to submit findings within 15 days.
Removal from Post
On Jan 20, Rao Anwar was removed from the post after a three-member investigation committee submitted an interim report on the killing of 27-year-old Naqeebullah in a ‘staged encounter’.
Inspector General Sindh AD Khawaja transferred Anwar, adding that further action against him will be taken after the completion of the inquiry. However, Adeel Chandio has been appointed as SSP Malir.
According to the notification, “Mr Anwar Ahmed Khan, an officer of Sindh Police (BS-18). Senior Superintendent of Police, District Malir, Karachi Range, is transferred and directed to report to CPO Sindh, Karachi with immediate effect and until further orders.”
The decision to remove him came after probe body head AIG Sanaullah Abbasi said that interim report regarding the case was sent to Sindh police after proper investigation.
Media reports suggest that the investigation team declared Mehsud innocent, refusing the allegations levelled by Rao Anwar. The team, in the report, said that no evidence found that showed links between the deceased and terror outfits.
It is learnt that the committee has asked the authorities to register a case against the SSP, known as an “encounter specialist” and other team members involved in the extrajudicial killing. The team also suggested that Rao Anwar’s name should be put on Exit Control List (ECL).