SAN BERNARDINO (Web Desk) – Police in California have named two suspects killed after a mass shooting which left 14 people dead at a social services centre.
Article continues after the advertisement
The man and woman, Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and Tashfeen Malik, 27, were killed in an exchange of fire with police.
The attack took place at an event on Wednesday for Farook’s colleagues. None of the victims has been identified.
Farook had been a San Bernardino public health employee for five years, police chief Jarrod Burguan said, BBC reported.
The Inland Regional Center, where the shooting took place, provides services for people with developmental disabilities.
Mr Burguan, who said another 17 people were wounded, said police were “reasonably confident” that there were just two shooters.
A third person seen running from the scene was detained, but police said it was unclear whether that person was involved.
Both suspects were killed in their vehicle after a shoot-out with police involving 20 officers. A tip-off had earlier led police to a house in nearby Redlands.
The dead man and woman were believed to be a couple, the police chief said.
They were armed with assault rifles and semi-automatic handguns and wore military-style clothing.
One police officer was injured, but his injuries are not life threatening.
Three possible explosive devices were found at the Inland Regional Center, where the shooting took place.
Mr Burguan said that Farook had left the event which was possibly a holiday party for employees or a meeting – “under some circumstances that were described as angry,” and returned with Malik.
Earlier, the FBI said it was not ruling out the possibility of terrorism but the situation was still being investigated.
San Bernardino is a city of about 200,000 people, 100 kilometre east of Los Angeles.
The incident marks the deadliest mass shooting in the US since 26 people were killed at a school in Newtown, Connecticut in 2012.