US enlists Pakistan’s help to track user who threatened Donald Trump

  • Two accounts from Pakistan and 15 from India posted doctored picture of Imran Khan
Pakistan

ISLAMABAD – The Unit­ed States has sought Islamabad’s help in finding out the individual who threatened US President Donald Trump, from Pakistan.

The request for the help was confirmed by Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) on Monday which informed the National Assembly Standing Commit­tee that the US authorities had contacted the FIA last week, with a complaint that someone had threatened the US leader.

However, he said that they had been unable to identify the suspect so far.

The FIA officials also admitted that it was hard to track down people who posted blasphemous content on social media.

Moreover, FIA Cyber Crimes direc­tor, retired Capt Muhammad Shoaib informed the lawmakers that it was difficult to track the social media users who posted images showing Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) chairman Imran Khan as Lord Shiva.

Trump seeks support of ‘Pakistan’s mystery man’ to counter Democrats’ lawsuit

Mr Shoaib also explained that 17 accounts had been identified from where the doctored pictures of Imran Khan had been posted adding that about 15 of them were based in India, and only two of them were operated from Pakistan.

“One of the users had deleted the post but the other still carried it,” confirmed the official.

Mr Shoaib also declared that a request to the US Webmaster for tracking the user, who had initially uploaded the picture, had been forwarded since social media was controlled from the US.

On the insistence of MNA Ramesh Lal about why the culprits were not being nabbed, Mr Shoaib informed the committee that operators of social media sites concealed information about users, especially politicians.

“We can only block Facebook in Pakistan but it will create a problem,” he admitted

Upon this, Committee chairperson Umerzadi Tiwana direct­ed the FIA and the PTA to take up the matter again and submit a report within a week.

“If the issue is not addressed, as a last option we can go for the shut down of social media because we cannot put the lives of people at risk,” she said.

In a separate interaction with Dawn News, Mr Shoaib revealed that the US authorities – on the issue of threats to Trump – had been advised to contact the FIA through diplomatic channels i.e Foreign Office.