LAHORE (Staff Report) – The Lahore High Court on Thursday reserved its verdict on the plea of Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed’s petition seeking a ban on the release of Bollywood movie ‘Phantom’ in the country.
According to sources, the court has banned the exhibition of Indian movie Phantom in Pakistani cinemas.
During the court proceedings, the federal government filed its reply in LHC informing that no one has so far sought a ‘no objection certificate’ from it regarding the exhibition of Phantom in Pakistani cinemas.
Arguing in the court, the law officer said since no one has sought NoC from the federal government this petition is “useless” and should be dismissed. “The petitioner is unnecessarily trying to involve the government,” he said.
However, Saeed’s counsel AK Dogar said: “There is a direct threat to the life of the petitioner (Saeed) and his associates emanating from the content of the trailer of the film.”
He said the controversial movie set to be released on August 28 both in Pakistan and India contains “malicious and filthy” propaganda against the Jamaat-ud-Dawa in general and Hafiz Saeed in particular.