LAHORE – Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah claimed on Monday that the attacker involved in the blast near Punjab Assembly in Lahore had been identified.
Article continues after the advertisement
The provincial law minister said in an interview to Geo News that the attacker entered the protest site on foot.
‘The attacker’s target was police personnel,” said the provincial law minister.
At least 16 people including senior police officers were killed while 73 others were left injured after a massive explosion near Punjab Assembly on Monday.
The bomb blast occurred at Charing Cross, Mall Road, Lahore, killing DIG Traffic Capt (r) Ahmad Mubeen, SSP Mahmood Gondal and DSP Pervez Butt, police sources told Daily Pakistan.
“The incident occurred as hundreds of chemists were protesting nearby against a new regulatory law,” Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah said.
Many vehicles parked near the blast site caught fire, triggering panic and chaos in the area.