Benazir murder case: Sindh govt seeks Musharraf’s arrest through Interpol

  • Sindh Information Minister Nasir says provincial govt will request the centre to get Pervez Musharraf arrested
  • Court on August 31 declared Musharraf absconder in Benazir Bhutto murder case

SUKKUR – The Sindh government, runs by Pakistan Peoples Party, has decided to send a request to centre [federal government] seeking arrest of General (retd) Pervez Musharraf, a suspect in Benazir Bhutto murder case, through Interpol.

Sindh Information Minister Nasir Hussain Shah talking to media on Sunday stated this following a judgement passed by an anti-terrorism court in the murder case.

He said that they were on the alert after the acquittal of the alleged terrorists in the case, adding that the issue is under discussion with legal experts.

The provincial information minister claimed that attempts were made to remove proofs after the murder of Bhutto.

He reiterated that the provincial government would ask the federal government to arrest Musharraf through Interpol.

Benazir Bhutto murder case: Former DIG Saud Aziz, SP Khurram Shehzad get 17 years jail

On August 31, an Anti-Terrorism court (ATC) on Thursday while announcing the verdict in the Benazir Bhutto murder awarded 17 years imprisonment to former DIG Saud Aziz and SP Khurram Shehzad for abetting the crime.

The court also imposed a fine of Rs500,000 each on both convicts. The police have arrested the former DIG from premises of the court.

In a landmark decision, the court declared former president Gen (retd) Pervez Musharraf absconder in the case, while ordered to seize all property of him.

Five suspects, including Rafaqat Hussain, Husnain Gul, Sher Zaman, Aitzaz Shah and Abdul Rashid have been acquitted on murder charges.

Pervez Musharraf declared fugitive in Benazir Bhutto murder case

Benazir Bhutto, who was the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) chief and two-time former prime minister, was killed in a suicide attack at a public gathering at Rawalpindi’s Liaquat Bagh in Rawal Town area on December 27, 2007.

In 2008, the police registered an FIR regarding the incident on behalf of the state and trial of five TTP suspects started in February of 2008. However, the case was handed over to the FIA after PPP won 2008 general election.