CHITRAL (Web Desk) – More than 200 individuals suffering from food poisoning, were hospitalised after eating food at a marriage ceremony in an isolated valley of Jinjiret Koh near Drosh town here on Sunday.

Revealing the details, the local administration told Dawn that more than 200 persons, including children and women, were being treated in the hospital for diarrhoea, while more were being brought to the hospital.

The patients who were said to be stable now, apparently got ill due to food poisoning.

Meanwhile, emergency had been declared in the hospital to receive the affected persons from the remote Jinjiret Koh valley.

A doctor at the hospital said all the patients were suffering from diarrhoea, which is caused by consumption of poisoned food infested with bacteria.

The incident was not first of its nature in the country. In April, as many as 26 people lost their lives after consuming sweets in Layyah city of Punjab.

Read More: Death toll due to toxic sweets rises to 26