Dr Asim was not ‘drugged’ during confession: Rangers

  • Dr. Asim did not disclose being drugged during confession before court: Rangers

KARACHI – The Pakistan Rangers, Sindh has rejected the claims made by Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) leader Dr Asim Hussain stating he was drugged while making his ‘confession’ in 2015.

The paramilitary force, in a statement termed Dr Asim’s statement a baseless allegation and said the accused did not make any such claims while before court or after his bail.

Dr. Asim during his appearance on Geo News on Friday contended that he was drugged heavily when he recorded his confessional statement.

“I still don’t remember what I said to them. I was heavily drugged when I was kept in solitary confinement,” said Dr Asim.

He maintained that he had gone through serious mental torture that has left long-lasting effects on his mind.

Dr Asim said that he has requested courts to allow him to travel abroad for his back surgery.

“NAB (National Accountability Court) is not allowing me [to leave the country] for they think I will not return. It is wrong. My family, businesses are all here, What will I do? I have even said that if I don’t return, the government can take over possession of my hospitals.”

He said that during investigations, the primary questions asked to him were about financial matters of PPP chief Asif Ali Zardari.

The former petroleum minister maintained that cases against him were “completely baseless, scandalous and false”, and that he was willing to face charges.

SHC releases Dr Asim from prison after 19 months

Dr Asim — a former minister and close confidante of former president Asif Ali Zardari — faces trial in two cases of alleged corruption of over Rs450 billion and another of allegedly facilitating and treating terrorists at his medical facility — Dr Ziauddin Hospital.

He was released from the sub-jail at the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre in Karachi on March 31 this year after obtaining bail in all the cases lodged against him.

He was initially arrested by the Rangers in August 2015 and detained for around 90 days. He was later transferred into police custody.