LAHORE – Every winter, cities in upper and central parts of Pakistan wear a blanket of fog and when the pollutants emitting from the surface are added to the fog it creates smog.
This problem is getting worse with each passing year and environmentalists are now viewing it as a potential threat to urban life.
Every other day you will see a news item about fog, the delays on airports as well as certain road closures specially the Motorways.
So, what should you do in order to keep yourself safe?
There are a few tips which everyone should follow to remain safe while driving in fog.
Driving Tips during fog
- Drive at a speed that suits the foggy conditions. Make sure the headlights are turned ON.
- Always use your low beam.
- Use anti-fog lights to boost your visibility.
- Use edge of the road as a guide, rather than the center line in fog.
- Avoid tale-gating i.e always keep a distance from the vehicle in front.
- Stop any distraction in the vehicle.
- Keep your windows and mirrors clean.
- If fog is very dense, just stop the vehicle in the protected area away from traffic and turn ON your emergency flashers.
- Don’t jam your vehicle while encountering a cloud of smog. You could become the first victim in a pile-up.
- Don’t speed up suddenly, even if the fog seems to be clearing. You could find yourself suddenly back in the fog.
- In case of emergency please dial NH&MP HelpLine “130”