KARACHI (Web Desk) – Additional Inspector General (AIG) Karachi Mushtaq Mehar has ordered an inquiry into controversial advertisements in Tuesday’s local newspapers apparently by police seeking masses support to identify Rangers officials allegedly behind kidnapping of six missing citizens, Geo TV reported on Wednesday.
Article continues after the advertisement
The advertisements appeared in various national newspapers read that the six missing persons had been taken away by unidentified Rangers personnel. The masses were urged in the ads to inform the DSP Orangi Town if they were aware of missing people’s whereabouts.
Speaking to Geo News late on Tuesday, AIG Mehar said the ads were published without approval, adding that Sindh government’s information department assisted in publishing the ads.
He said cases were lodged against the Pakistan Rangers Sindh upon court orders. Summary of first information report (FIR) was attached with the letter sent to the newspapers for the advertisements.
Meanwhile taking notice of the matter, Sindh Home Minister Sohail Anwar Sial has ordered a probe into it besides suspending the DSP Orangi Town.
In a telephonic conversation with Inspector General Sindh Police Ghulam Haider Jamali, the home minister directed him to launch a swift investigation regarding publishing of controversial advertisements.
Sial has also formed a three-member inquiry committee, headed by the DIG counter-terrorism department (CTD), which is directed to present a report on the issue within three days.