RAWALPINDI (Staff Report) – Director General Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) Major-General Asim Bajwa has strongly rejected the news reports that quoted federal minister Mushahidullah discussing a phone-call-tape to prove that former Director General Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) wanted to take over the government.
Article continues after the advertisement
Asim Bajwa, in a twitter post, said the news stories about presence of any such tape are completely baseless and that such rumors are highly unprofessional and irresponsible.
Earlier Mushahid Ullah, in an interview with BBC, revealed that former DG ISI Retd. Genral Zahir ul Islam wanted to de-stable PML-N’s government during Dharna.
He said Intelligence Bureau (IB) tapped Zahir ul Islam’s phone calls which showed the conspiracy against PML-N’s government.
“PM Nawaz then put those taps before COAS General Rahil Sharif in 28-August meeting,” he said. “General Zahir confessed it was his voice when inquired from Army Chief.”
The interview triggered a new debate over the much discussed sit-ins of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf and Pakistan Awami Tehreek (PAT) that started on August 14 last year seeking dismissal of PML-N government. As a result Mushahidullah went on back-foot to explain his controversial statement.
“I just said in interview that such rumors are circulating, I never said it on official level,” he said while alleging that BBC manipulated and angled his words in such a way.
Previously famous TV anchor Najam Sethi has also discussed the presence of a such phone-call-tape during his talk show at a private news channel.