LAHORE (Staff Report) – A Lahore High Court division bench on Wednesday granted post arrest bail to accused Mumtaz Sindhi involved in attacking a vigil held to observe fourth death anniversary of former Punjab Governor Salman Taseer.
The bench directed the accused to submit two surety bonds of Rs 2,00,000 to avail the bail.
The bench comprising Justice Muhammad Anwaar ul Haq and Justice Erum Sajad Gull heard the bail application filed by the accused.
During the hearing, the petitioner’s counsel arguing before the court submitted that the Gulberg police registered a case against the accused and others for attacking a vigil held to observe death anniversary of former Punjab governor.
He said co-accused were granted bail by the court in the matter. “Therefore, the petitioner should also be granted bail considering the principle of consistency”, he pleaded.
However, an additional prosecutor opposed the request and submitted that the trial court had convicted the co-accused. He said the accused was arrested in May, 2015. He said that challan had been presented against the accused in trial court whereas media footage showed that he was guilty.
The bench after hearing arguments of all parties granted post arrest bail to the accused.
On January 4 ,2015, a group of enraged men had attacked participants of a candle light vigil at the Liberty Chowk, organised to mark the death anniversary of Taseer. They snatched and tore placards and photos of the former governor before beating up participants.
It is pertinent to mention that an anti-terrorism court awarded 13-years jail term to five co-accused in the case besides acquitting two in July, 2015.