The government of Pakistan and China signed multiple Memorandum of Understandings during the recent visit of Pakistani prime minister Nawaz Sharif to China to enhance the bilateral relationship between the two countries.
Both signed agreements worth $28 billion to immediately kick-start early harvest projects, while projects worth $17 billion, which are in the pipeline, will follow as soon as the required studies, processes and formalities are completed. The groundbreaking and signing of financial agreements have demonstrated that there is a strong will on both sides to implement the portfolio of $45 billion agreed under the CPEC framework as early as possible to help Pakistan meet its energy needs.
The agreements and MOUs signed are as under:
1. The Economic and technical cooperation agreement between China and Pakistan.
2. Exchange of notes of a feasibility study of the demonstration project of the DTMB.
3. Exchange of notes on the provision of anti-narcotics equipment.
4. Exchange of notes on the provision of law enforcement equipment.
5. Exchange of notes on feasibility study of Gwadar hospital
6. MoU on the provision of Chinese governmental concessional loan for second phase up-gradation of the Karakorum Highway (Havelian to Thakot).
7. MOU on the provision of Chinese governmental concessional loan for Karachi-Lahore Motorway (Multan to Sukkur).
8. MoU on the provision of Chinese governmental concessional loan for Gwadar port East Bay Expressway Project.
9. MoU on the provision of Chinese governmental concessional loan for Gwadar international airport.
10. Protocol on banking services to an agreement on trade in services.
11. MoU on the provision of material for tackling climate change.
12. A framework agreement on cooperation on major communications infrastructure project.
13. MoU on cooperation between NDRC of China and Ministry of Planning Development and Reform of Pakistan.
14. MoU on Pro Bono Projects in the Port of Gwadar Region.
15. MoU on the establishment of the China-Pakistan joint cotton biotech laboratory.
16. The framework agreement between the National Railway Administration, China and the Ministry of Railways, Pakistan on joint feasibility study for up-gradation of ML1 and establishment of Havelain dry port of Pakistan Railways.
17. Protocol on the establishment of the China-Pakistan joint marine research centre.
18. MoU on cooperation between the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Films and Television of China and Ministry of Information, Broadcasting and National Heritage of Pakistan.
19. Triple party agreement between China Central Television and PTV and Pakistan Television Foundation on the re-broadcasting of CCTV-NEWS/CCTV -9 Documentary in Pakistan.
20. Protocol on the establishment of sister cities relationship between Chengdu city Sichuan Province of PRC and Lahore city.
21. Protocol on the establishment of sister cities Relationship between Zhuhai city, Guangdong province and Gwadar city.
22. Protocol on the establishment of sister cities relationship between Karamay City, XianjianUgur, and Gwadar city.
23. The framework agreement between NEA and MoPNR on Gwadar-Nawabshah LNG terminal and pipeline project.
24. Commercial contract on Lahore Orange Line Metro Train Project.
25. Agreement on financing for Lahore Orange line Metro Train project.
26. MoU on financing for KKH up-gradation Phase-2 (Havelian to Takot), KLM, Gwadar east bay expressway, Gwadar international airport projects.
27. Financing agreement relating to the 870MW hydro-electric Suki Kinari hydropower project between EXIM Bank of China, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Limited and SK Hydro (Private) Limited.
28. Financing cooperation agreement between the EXIM Bank of China and Port Qasim Electric Power Company (Private) Limited (on Port Qasim 2x660MW coal-fired power plant).
29. Framework facility agreement for 720MW Karot hydropower project between China Development Bank Corporation, EXIM Bank of China and Karot Power Company (Private) Limited.
30. Term sheet of the facility for Zonergy 9×100 MW solar project in Punjab between China Development Bank Corporation, EXIM Bank of China and Zonergy Company limited.
31. Drawdown agreement on Jhimpir wind power project between UEP Wind Power (Private) Limited as borrower and China Development Bank Corporation as a lender.
32. Terms and conditions in favour of Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company for Thar Block II 3.8Mt/a mining Project, Sindh province, Pakistan arranged by China Development Bank Corporation.
33. Terms and conditions in favour of Engro Powergen Thar (Private) Limited, Sindh province, Pakistan for Thar Block II 2x330MW coal-fired power project arranged by China Development Bank Corporation.
34. Framework agreement of Financing Cooperation in Implementing the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor between China Development Corporation and HBL.
35. MoU with respect to cooperation between Wapda and CTG.
36. MoU among PPIB, CTG, and Silk Road Fund on Development of Private Hydro Power Projects.
37. Facility operating agreement for Dawood Wind Power project between ICBC and PCC of China and HDPPL.
38. Framework agreement for promoting Chinese investments and industrial parks development in Pakistan between ICBC and HBL on financial services corporation.
39. The financing term sheet agreement for Thar Block –I between ICBC, SSRL.
40. Energy strategic cooperation framework agreement between Punjab province and China Huaneng Group.
41. A framework agreement on the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor Energy Project Cooperation.
42. Cooperation agreement between Sino-Sindh Resources (Pvt) Ltd and Shanghai Electric Group for Thar Coalfield Block I Coal-Power integrated Project in Pakistan.
43. Cooperation agreement for Matiyari-Lahore and Matyari (Port Qasim)-Faisalabad Transmission and Transformation Project between National Transmission Distribution Company (NTDC) and National Grid of China.
44. IA on Port Qasim Coal-fired Power Plant between Power China and GoP.
45. Facility Agreement for the Sahiwal Coal-fired Power Plant Project between industrial and Commercial Bank of China Limited, Huaneng Shandong Electricity limited and Shandong Ruyi Group.
46. Cooperation agreement on Hubco Coal-fired Power Plant Project between CPIH and Hubco Power Company.
47. Facilitation Agreement on Salt Range Coal-fired Power Project between CMEC and Punjab Government.
48. MoU between NUML Pakistan and Xinjiang Normal University, Urumqi China for Cooperation on Higher Education.
49. Agreement on collaboration on the establishment of NUML International Center of education (NICE) between NUML Pakistan and Xinjiang Normal University, Urumqi, China.
On this occasion the two leaders inaugurated the following projects by unveiling the plaques:
1. Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, Lahore Branch.
2. Energization of 100 MW solar power plants at Quad-i-Azam solar park, Bahawalpur.
3. FM 98 Dosti Channel studio PBC-CRI, Islamabad.
4. A demonstration project of DTMB Broadcasting in Pakistan.
5. China Cultural centre Pakistan.
6. China-Pakistan Joint Research Center for small hydropower, Islamabad.
7. China-Pakistan cross-border optical fibre cable system project.
8. Metro rail transit system on the Orange Line in Lahore.
Groundbreaking of following power projects was also jointly done by Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif and President Xi Jinping via video link:
1- Karot 720 MW Hydropower project.
2- Dawood 50 MW Windpower project.
3- Sachal 50 MW Windpower project.
4- Zonergy 900 MW solar project.
5- Jhimpir 100 MW Windpower project.