KARACHI: Naegleria fowleri’s, a brain-eating amoeba found in freshwater, first case of the year was reported in the port city on Friday.

According to Health Department sources, the victim, 30-year old Baldia Town resident Zahid Khan, is suffering from high fever and was admitted to a private hospital in critical condition three days ago.

Naegleria fowleri claimed 14 lives in Sindh in 2015, most of whom were residents of Karachi.

Doctors and health experts say Naegleria usually enters the brain and attacks the nervous system when infected water is ingested through the nasal cavity while bathing, swimming or making ablutions.